The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Monday, January 05, 2009

“…before this dreadful winter.”

By Tamara Lee

The last time I posted, I included a photo of Vancouver in what was its current state—a quaint by comparison photo, given the amount of snow that’s since fallen here in Canada’s Narnia.

For the past three years, I’ve been telecommuting as a freelance editor, so winter woes haven’t much disturbed my daily life. But tomorrow I’ll begin a contract position at The Capilano Review, whose office is situated at Capilano University (nee Capilano College), on the snow-riddled hills of North Vancouver. Tonight, as the snow falls for the 21st day, severe weather warnings are pronounced, road closures continue, and I regularly check the transit and University road conditions.

Meanwhile, fittingly, as this seemingly epic situation unfolds, I’m watching the film The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on the CBC.

Although I’ve read the book a few times, as a child, then as a young adult, tonight all I seem fixated on is how that snow does eventually thaw, and cherry blossoms will again bloom.

So tomorrow, as I trek the treacherous sidewalks at 7 a.m. to ensure I won’t be late on my first day, and wait for what will likely be very long and cold periods for the buses that don’t come, I’ll recall those images of cherry blossoms and imminent spring. And be grateful for the Thermos full of hot tea I’ll be bringing.


(Title quote: Tumnus, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; Image credit: Jaki Good)

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Good luck tomorrow, Tamara ("...tomorrow, Tamara..."--why am I thinking of "Annie"?)! They're lucky to have you. I hope it's fun and rewarding for all. AND, I love that photo. Jaki Good is good! I love her Zebra photo.

Mon Jan 05, 11:22:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

You know, I've never read that book. Someday. I didn't realize you've had snow for 21 days straight. Wow. Guess we're lucky in Victoria.

Hope your first day went well!

Mon Jan 05, 10:18:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Thanks, you guys. Yes, it was quite a first day. A two-hour trek/wait/trek into work, but it was a great day overall.

Andrew, I'm not sure how I found that Jaki Good, but I came upon her blog and just had to post the photo. It's so beautiful, it immediately calmed me. That zebra one, also, I agree, is stunning.

Tricia, I am confounded by Victoria's weather luck, and the contrast between our two cities so relatively close.

Tue Jan 06, 03:29:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home