The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Monday, December 29, 2008

Five Books to Read Before March!


Here's a challenge for you! Canada Reads 2009 is coming up in March. You might enjoy the radio debates even more than usual if you attempt to have read all five books. Can you do it?

I doubt I can. This is the first time I haven't read ANY of the books on the list, I'm embarrassed to confess, so I've got some readin' to do if I want to be fully prepped by March. I'm going to try. Because they all sound pretty great actually...

The Book of Negroes
by Lawrence Hill
defended by
Avi Lewis

The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant
by Michel Tremblay
defended by
Anne-Marie
Withenshaw

Fruit
by Brian Francis
defended by
Jen Sookfong Lee

Mercy Among the Children
by David Adams Richards
defended by
Sarah Slean

The Outlander
by Gil Adamson
defended by
Nicholas Campbell

Get crackin'!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I may boycott it as they haven't included even one book by a woman, and I'm already reading two other books on my list: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle and The Cellist of Sarajevo (both by men, I might add).

Mon Dec 29, 03:40:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I didn't notice that! How has it skewed in past years?

Tue Dec 30, 10:56:00 am GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gil Adamson is actually a woman and in the past two years a woman has won so here's hoping for a hat trick!

Tue Dec 30, 12:03:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Thanks, anonymous. I didn't know Adamson was a woman. The boycott is off.

Tue Dec 30, 12:56:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I wondered if "Gil" was a woman. I rushed to the store to pick up my first read and nowhere on the book jacket did it mention gender. How interesting! Why should it matter? Could you read a book not knowing if the writer was male or female? How would you 'hold' it in your consciousness without that organizing principal?

Fri Jan 02, 10:15:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home