The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why is it that the writer feels the need to re-evaluate at this time of year? I know everybody does it – it’s called making resolutions for the New Year, and it’s customary. But seriously, I’ve never heard of an office dreg evaluating their performance as the year comes to a close. Why do we do it, torture ourselves I mean. I have this all figured out. Listen to me. The safest bet for the writer is to forgo all resolutions to ring in the New Year except one, and that is to not commit. Say it after me: I will be noncommittal in 2009. Beyond taking out the trash and bathing, you should all read, write, and revise at will. That’s your resolution, to do what pleases you, when it pleases you. That’s all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Okay, I will be noncommittal in 2009. I like the sound of that!

But I gotta tell you, many office dregs do evaluate their performances each year, whether they want to or not. It's call the Annual Performance Review and it's painful, with the committal of any number of "resolutions" called Annual Performance Goals, the achievement of which means the difference between a salary increase or not.

Tue Dec 30, 11:53:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Oh, but I was talking more like at home, in front of the mirror. Happy New Year, sis!

Wed Dec 31, 04:13:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Oh, a home office, I gotcha. Happy to you, too, Bro. Take your kids out on the front (or back steps) and bang pans tonight.

Wed Dec 31, 04:26:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I resisted re-evaluating my writing as the year turned. I'm just plugging along.

My waistline however got the usual critical attention!

Fri Jan 02, 10:18:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

I've actually found a few circumstances already where my new resolution has helped immensely with my stress level. I'm the type that always says "yes" before I have the time to think about it. No good that.

Sat Jan 03, 06:01:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home