The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Progress of a Story: The Inner World of the North American Male


I’m trying to write about somebody like my dad. It feels superficial and dull. I realize what I don’t have a good sense of is the man’s life from the inside. Many of the responsible men of my father’s generation got jobs, had families, were good providers. Their lives are easily seen from the outside. They were all about those visible signs of success. But I want to be more aware of their lived experience. I’ve asked members of my on-line writing site to recommend some authors. Here’s the short list: Raymond Carver, Phillip Roth, John Updike, Andre Dubus, Richard Yates, Tom Perrotta, Ron Carlson, Richard Baush, Evan S. Connell, John Cheever, Steve Almond, Norman Mailer, Tom McGuane, John Irving, and Jim Tomlinson. I think it’s a good list. Some new, some old. Some classic, some rare. I think I’ll do a binge reading this summer before I take this story any further.

Photo of "Barefoot Business Man" from WichitaKsDailyPhoto

1 Comments:

Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

I think one detail will lead to another, and then another, and before you know it, you'll be inside the man you want to write about. You need to poke through the layer of stuff you remember. No, you need to do away with it, sweep it aside so all you have left is a photo of the man at the back of your mind. And then just write your fiction. Good luck with this, Andrew.

Wed May 28, 11:18:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home