The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I Like Me Some Canada Council!

I heard about the Canada Council grant for writers a few years ago, around the time I was struggling with three jobs, having difficulty squeezing time in to breathe let alone write. It occurred to me that if I got me one of those babies I could let a job go. The criteria for emerging writers is 'four published stories' and I had three. I guess I wasn’t quite emerging enough. I’m picturing a baby’s head crowning right now and the obgyn not quite ready to declare that things are on the move, but hey! Rules are rules.

Well, I had to let the jobs go anyway. A little thing called sanity. But as soon as I had that fourth published story (“Ugly is the New Pretty” in Descant’s fabulous fashion issue) I sent in an application.

And now I am the proud recipient of said fundidge! I would like to thank my parents for giving me the enthusiasm for creating and also for giving me tons of stuff to write about. Of course my stories of dysfunctional families are about all the other families we lived beside in the suburban neighbourhoods of Ontario, our friends and neighbours. Of course, by that I mean none of the really close ones. If you’re reading this, you’re exempt.

I should say that I’ve been writing a bit more than usual. I squeeze it in. I get some words on the page, even if they aren’t inspired. I have a guilt-based work ethic. My country is sponsoring me to write, damn it, so I’d better friggin’ get to ‘er.

I went to “The World’s Biggest Bookstore” and bought “How to Write a Short Story”. I thought it would be a great symbolic first purchase. I thought this year I would blog about a single story that I am trying to write. It may get dull, but this is for science, I mean Science, and for History, and for Literature. Anyway, I’m going to post this before I change my mind. (Thank you, Canada Council, mwah, mwah, mwah, kisses for each member!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Grants and books and anthologies, oh my!

Wed May 07, 09:40:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Tania Hershman said...

Hey, great news! Very life-affirming, a grant, isn't it? Don't squander it all on cupcakes and short story books ;)

Wed May 07, 12:51:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

What Tania said. Big congrats!

Wed May 07, 03:16:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home