The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Monday, April 28, 2008

I Wish...

I wish Elvis and Dean Martin were still alive, even just as old farts, same with John Wayne and Richard Harris. I also want both Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn alive and still together, still making movies. I wish I still had my dog Mick, before he went mad, so I could keep him from going mad. Wish I was in Greece, and it was twenty years ago. I wish I hadn’t started smoking when I was sixteen. I wish I had kept all my comic books from back in the day when I was also collecting hockey cards. I swear I had a couple Bobby Orrs. I wish I’d never played the monkey and twisted my knee all those years ago roller skating at the Palladium. I wish I’d never started writing. I’d be a millionaire today. I wish I’d bought that little cabin in St. Jerome when it was still going for 25, 000 bucks. I coulda got it for twenty. I wish Mel Blanc were still alive. I wish the polar bears well, and Hillary; too bad she’s got Bill on her side. I wish Obama well, and the rest of us, too. We should all give up a limb and call it even, start over. What about you?

5 Comments:

Blogger Tania Hershman said...

Oh man, I felt that! I wish I didn't let every stray germ make its home in my body. I wish there were more hours in a day and less people on the other end of my telephone. I wish I was telepathic, sometimes. I wish everyone would be quiet, most of the time.

Mon Apr 28, 12:56:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

I wish they were still making new episodes of the Flintstones.

Mon Apr 28, 01:03:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Oh, I so relate, Tony. I wish I'd done so many things differently my list would fill a room.One of the reasons I love "Peggy Sue Got Married" so much is that what happens to her is my fantasy: to get to go back and make some different choices. Not only that, but to appreciate other people more.

Thanks for this beautifully written post.

Wed Apr 30, 02:43:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Yeah, Tony, this is bang-on. Me, I wish I spent less time wishing for things instead of going after them.

Thu May 01, 03:15:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger MelBell said...

Tony, this is great. Those are great wishes.

Mon May 05, 09:26:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home