The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, January 06, 2008

You Don't Bring Me Stories Anymore


A writer-colleague of mine from the United States of America is reviewing the weekly New Yorker story on his blog. It’s such a cool project. Check it Out!. I was thinking of copying him. But then I remembered how the whole playground goes ‘na, na, na, na, NAAA, na’ when you do that, so I thought I’d look for a Canadian equivalent. Hmmm. Which Canadian weekly publishes fiction? Hmmm. The Walrus usually has a story. Oh, that’s monthly. Hmmm. MacLeans is weekly. Oh, that never has a story. Hmmm. Canlit Journals publish stories, but they are quarterlies and full of stories. I want a single story each week to get disciplined over- like an elegant single rose in a sophisticated vase. It can’t possibly be true can it? That it doesn’t exist in Canada? Hm, Hm, Hm, Hm, HMMM, Hm.

Readers, any suggestions?

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

Your 2008 you is freaking me out. Can I have a little of your motivation?

Sun Jan 06, 03:03:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Oh, I have a stack of these magazines, Story, from 1929-1931.

Sun Jan 06, 06:43:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Andrew! It has been a fun project and the only way I could have kept up with the magazine - I used to let them pile up. I really hope you come up with a Canadian alternative - I'd be interesting in reading about them. How about picking 4 monthlies and do one story a week on a rotating basis?

Mon Jan 07, 10:05:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home