The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Saturday, January 05, 2008

I wanna...

Without a doubt, the New Year resolutions I’ve uttered, thought to utter, thought I ought to utter, throughout my life, have concerned my health. Among addictions, smoking has topped the list as the habit I’ve wanted to kick the hardest. It’s always topped the list. Some years, many in fact, it’s been the only thing on my list of resolutions.

That’s not such a bad thing though, not if you think about it the way I’m thinking about it. What this all means, statistically, is that the worst thing I’ve ever done in my life was light up that first cigarette about a hundred years ago. I joke where maybe I shouldn’t be joking. I’m hard at work kicking that nastiest of habits. And the weather is cooperating. The more snow gets dumped on my deck, the fewer cigarettes I smoke.

On a more cheery note, I’ve been writing quite a bit, doing my damndest to direct what I write into something that I can use in my novel. It ain’t working, but still, I’m writing, which is kinda like saying I’m thinking of quitting smoking. It's the wannabe curse thing. Why is it so hard to just do the stuff you know you should be doing? Because we’d all be perfect, that’s why. We’d stop saying our prayers and buying loto tickets. I'd stop writing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Keep thinking, Tony, and keep writing. Whenever I don't do the stuff I know I should be doing it's because I haven't unearthed a valid reason why I should change and I resist changing because somebody else wants me to (or I "should"). When you want to do something different for yourself, then it will happen.

Sat Jan 05, 04:09:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home