The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, December 21, 2007

Finally Old Enough for the Good Stuff

by Melissa Bell

I've known ten-year-old Sammy her entire life. There aren't too many people I can say that about. She's a truly great kid. And smart. And – joy of joys – she loves to read. And this Christmas I get to indulge her with some of the books I loved – or would have loved - when I was ten.

The books I ordered arrived at my house yesterday, and it took just about everything I had not to curl up on the couch and start reading them myself.

The Story of My Life by Helen Keller – hard to believe this was written when Ms. Keller was only twenty-two – but then again, once you read the book, it's not really that hard to believe at all.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – a gorgeous classic – was Mary Shelley really nineteen when she wrote this?

The Valley of Adventure by Enid Blyton. I haven't actually read this one myself, but I'm pretty sure it will involve the usual group of young Blyton-esque adventurers packing up some sandwiches in wax paper and taking off to discover and solve a mystery. No parents allowed.

There are still a few days to add some more to her gift bag (I don't see Sammy until New Year's). All of the above were just over $6.00 each. If you've got any recommendations of your own – books that you loved as a precocious pre-teen - please let me know in the comments section.

Thanks everyone, and have a wonderful safe holiday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

The Arm of the Starfish and The Young Unicorns would go well together.

Fri Dec 21, 10:32:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was my absolute favourite as a kid.

Fri Dec 21, 12:14:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I love Enid Blyton! I read those aloud to my kids. And I always would tease them about having waxpaper sandwiches afterwards.

Fri Dec 21, 12:36:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Ah, the age I discovered Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Worlds of the imagination seem so much larger at that age.

Mon Dec 24, 12:39:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home