The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why This Post is so Short


by Andrew Tibbetts

The writing, that which matters to me most, is the first to go. All of life’s other components clamour. The rent must be paid. The bills. The responsibilities. The laundry. The writing makes no such demands-- which I suspect is the source of its joy giving. There’s an icing metaphor I don’t have to time to craft-- something about the thinnest slice being the first to melt-- but icing isn’t a slice and melting isn’t right either. It’s all too Macarthur Park. And besides I need to bring my laundry in before it rains. Or should I be honest and bypass the allusion to say ‘before one of my fellow tenants throws it on the dirty laundry floor to get at the dryer’?-- and now I have a short story idea that I don't have time for either. Sigh.

Photo: a Laundromat in Palatine that won the 2005 Coin-Op Magazine’s 'Most Beautiful Laundry.' It is most definitely NOT a photo of my laundry room.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to put on a load of whites! And write a novel while it's drying.

Wed Dec 12, 02:13:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Sad but true. Often the things we love to do most come last. Hope you find time for that metaphor soon.

Wed Dec 12, 03:13:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Just want to add I'm so excited you included a photo! Who polishes all that stainless steel, I wonder.

Wed Dec 12, 10:23:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

Cleaning my bedroom comes last. Does that mean I love cleaning my bedroom?

If I had a laundry room like that, I'd live in it!

I hope you find some time, Andrew.

Wed Dec 12, 10:36:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Oh, my. A short story about evil laundry-doers? Sounds like a great punchline too!

Thu Dec 13, 05:47:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home