The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, September 07, 2007

Chudobiak, Anne 2008-9 ($??,???)

I just made the disturbing discovery that the government of Quebec posts online the number and dollar amounts of all provincial grants awarded to writers in recent history. This means, for instance, that you can look up how much was given to Rawi Hage in 2006-7 ($19,000), or that you can know who to ask for help on your next grant application. I would suggest Jeffrey Moore ($18,000 in 2001 plus $600 for travel and other goodly amounts other goodly years), also Robyn Sarah, Carole David, Élise Turcotte.

These lists make for fascinating reading and were probably designed to occupy the minds of those of us who do not yet qualify as professional writers. Thank you, Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec!

p.s. A review of A.L.Kennedy's novel Day here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

What a generous province! Are you applying, Anne?

Fri Sept 07, 11:05:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

I don't qualify.

Fri Sept 07, 11:20:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Quebec is well known for its generosity with its creative types; you're well on your way, Anne. Disclosure is kind of unnerving isn't it? CanCouncil does it, too, I think. I remember reading that a guy I know pretty much lived off his Bravo dance pieces. I found I looked at him differently after that.

Sat Sept 08, 02:15:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

I'm thinking of applying. What do they mean by authors must have received compensation for their short fiction? Does five bucks count?

Sun Sept 09, 11:42:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

Yes! It most definitely counts.

Mon Sept 10, 09:07:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home