The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, August 31, 2007

The Artist Date

by Melissa Bell

Further to my recent attempts to reacquaint myself with The Artist's Way program, one thing I've never been terrifically good about is the "artist date". This is intended to be a solo excursion to something that will inspire creativity and, as Julia Cameron puts it, aid in "filling the well".

As an only child, I've sort of gotten used to doing things I want to do on my own. So for me, the whole "artist date" problem has been one of finding the time. Not that that has been much of an issue lately, but when it comes to choosing say cleaning the oven or stepping out to an art show, the oven wins. Wrong of me. So, so wrong. That oven isn't going anywhere. The art show will be over in a day. What's my problem? I'm guessing guilt. Do I dare allow myself the pleasure of an art exhibit when there are things to be done on the homefront? I do not know. But I think I need to get over that.

The thing is I really do have a good time doing things all by myself. There's something very liberating about taking oneself out to dinner or to a movie or even on a whole vacation. I really don't feel like some friendless loser on these occasions. In fact, more often than not, I've met some amazing people and been shown incredible generosity when others realize I'm "on my own". I've certainly never felt threatened or self-conscious. It's the solo ventures that remind me that maybe the world isn't such a bad place after all. One just has to make an effort and cool stuff happens. I guess it's the whole "road rising up to meet you" thing that shows up in Irish toasts. You just have to get yourself out on that road is all.

So I'm keeping this short today, folks, because I'm going to run off to the Royal Ontario Museum this afternoon and have a date with me. Maybe dinner out. And heck, maybe I'll invite myself back to my place for coffee afterward and we'll see where it goes from there.

Have a great long weekend, everyone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

I'm jealous (if that helps!).

Fri Aug 31, 10:59:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Nice one, Mel. Here's to Solo Mio, and You-o. I've never had a fear of dining on my own, not since becoming an adult.

Enjoy the Museum, I missed it when I was there.

Fri Aug 31, 12:47:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Hey, Mel, I sometimes love taking myself out. No disagreements about what to do or when to go home. Hope you had a wonderful time at the ROM.

Fri Aug 31, 08:36:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Cool stuff happens to cool people! I love this post. Hope you enjoyed the museum!

Sat Sept 01, 09:30:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Jim Ruland said...

Can I come? Or would that defeat the purpose? Hmmm, might need to re-think this...

Fri Sept 07, 01:12:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home