The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

20/20

I think about the future a lot. Not my own future, but the future of the world, the future of Canada, the future that the next generation will inherit. Futurists and futurism have been with us since the earliest civilizations, because few humans are able to happily live their lives adrift in the present. Some of us are mired in the past, while others drown in the present as they reach for the future.

Every once in awhile I stumble over some nugget of prescience that truly gets my brain juices flowing. I thought I’d share this one with you all. Check out http://www.twenty-twenty.ca/. In particular, check out the 2020 authors tab along the top. Clicking on it will take you to a collection of essays by several famous and not so famous Canadian thinkers, writers, and other notables.




3 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Looks like a good site, Steve, and timely for me. I'm writing something a bit futuristic right now. Thanks for the link.

Tue Aug 21, 03:19:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Hey, thanks, Steve. I checked out some of these. George Eliot Clarke's was an interesting read. I'm sure I'll go back for more, but there's a lot of doom and gloom over there, so one or two at a time before bedtime for me.

Fri Aug 24, 04:00:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Steve!

I made several stabs at a novel set in the near future where American liberals were being hunted down and put into concentration camps by the ascendent Christo-fascists. There was an 'underground railway' to Canada. I just got too depressed trying to write it.

Sat Aug 25, 09:19:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home