The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Vomit Stop Number One


We made it home from Nova Scotia, but not without the driving getting to me, by way of my brain. The trip took a little longer than normal, because we took some detours–to St.-Georges-de-Cacouna, to Old Town Quebec City–to do research for a food article that I'm writing. I learned, the hard way, that food writing and long distance travel with small children don't really mix. Kids aren't ideal taste testers. They don't care whether the chocolate gelato they're eating is imbued with hazelnut. All they care about is the sick feeling it produces in their bellies once they return to the car. Oy vey! Pictured above, Anne and Esme at Vomit Stop Number One, outside of Truro.

8 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

That would make a nice book a parent can give a child when they come of age: Places You Vomited. It would be part-memoir, part-travelogue, part-revenge, part-lovesong. I've got three to write so I'd better get to it.

Tue Aug 14, 09:00:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Ah, poor Esme, poor parents. "Inbued with hazelnut"...you're funny.

Tue Aug 14, 12:44:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger sass said...

glasses? what the hell happened on this trip?

btw, i got my hair cut and i believe there's a race to see who gets to you first, with gossipy tales...

Tue Aug 14, 04:33:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

I think someone else might have won the race.

Tue Aug 14, 06:09:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger sass said...

i just got my hair cut YESTERDAY.

evening!

Tue Aug 14, 10:33:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

I'm sorry, I draw the line at vomit.

Tue Aug 14, 10:49:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

I called Mathilde first thing this morning. I'm high maintenance: I need gossip between appointments.

Tue Aug 14, 10:52:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

Chumplet, that is probably wise.

Wed Aug 15, 07:40:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home