The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Approaching Mid-Life

by Andrew Tibbetts

In a few weeks I’ll be half-way to 90. I intend to live that long- at least. Although the Life Expectancy Calculator suggests I’m only going to make it to 78.58, I figure they aren’t factoring in the developments that will occur in medicine over the next few decades. I remind myself, when I feel old, that I’m not even half done! I also remind myself, when I feel unsuccessful, of artists that became known in their later years: Grandma Moses began painting in her 70’s to help with her arthritis; Henry Miller’s first novel came out when he was 44; Anton Bruckner began composing in his 40’s. Child prodigies always die unhappy and penniless any way, don’t they?

78.58, eh? That means I’d better not mark anything in my calendar after March 16, 2030. Hey, I’m going to save a bit on my student loans! Isn’t that great?

I recently made a list of my publications for a grant application! It fit on a page. But it almost filled the page! Could be worse, right? And the next ones will be page 2’ers (if I go with a footer, and I will. I will! I will! I will!)

This week I’ve had a long poem, four prose-poems, and three flash fiction pieces rejected. The accumulation has managed to remove the comment “Congratulations. Your acceptance rate is above average!” from the top of my submissions tracker on Duotrope. Oh well. I’ve got half a life to get it back up there.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

I get to be 85.72.

Happy upcoming birthday, Andrew.

Wed Aug 08, 11:17:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Thanks Anne! Congrats on your longevity!

Wed Aug 08, 11:32:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Heather said...

Hey Andrew,

Enjoy your birthday and good luck with the grant!!

Wed Aug 08, 12:14:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Yeah, happy almost birthday! Love that calculator. It says I'll live to 86.59 which is exactly 6.59 years longer than I want to live. I must do something about that.

Wed Aug 08, 01:23:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

I also will make it past 85.5. Hmm, hope I'm a healthy and able 80 year old.

Birthdays always do this, don't they? (One eye-opener: Have someone else note your achievements; it's remarkable how others see us)

Have a happy birthday! And good luck with the grant.

Wed Aug 08, 02:05:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Buck up! And happy birthday. 45 is a great age, lots of time to be become a canadian literary icon.

Fri Aug 10, 06:23:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger MelBell said...

Jeez, you're not anxious about your accomplishments are you? You're amazing! And I see at least a dozen cupcakes in your near future as well.

Sat Aug 11, 09:26:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

I get to put one item on a grant application. That is, if I don't count my contributions to Evil Editor's 'Novel Deviations'.

I plan to live to 100, and I don't care what any calculator says about it.

Sat Aug 11, 01:36:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home