The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, January 05, 2007

The Weather Outside: Frightful or Delightful?

Hello, everyone, and a happy 2007 to you all.

Posting late today as my at-home computer is doing something funny (and not in the laughing way), and so I’m actually composing this at work. But I’m getting it done before 9 a.m., so that’s still ethically okay, right? – I’m still on my own time, if not my own machine.

It’s hard to believe it’s already January 5. And when I look out my window this morning (and walk from the parking lot to the building where I work), it’s hard to believe it’s January 5 at all as Toronto is experiencing record high temperatures for this time of year. We’re going up to 13C today, people (that’s about 55F for our American friends). January! Toronto! I have to admit I’m loving this, but at the same time I think I should probably head back a few days and re-read Ms. Parkinson’s post regarding An Inconvenient Truth. It’s all very nice to see my snow shovel loitering in my garage with the tools of summer, but it can’t be a good sign.

Talking about the weather in Canada is like talking about traffic in Los Angeles. We love to gripe about it, but it makes us what we are and shapes our world. So as much as I really dislike the cold and the snow and scraping the ice off my windshield while the wind feels like it’s slicing the skin off my face and my toes turn black from frostbite and break off when I remove my beaver-lined snowshoes (but the toes, they grow back in the spring), I know that’s the way it’s supposed to be in January in Toronto. Not like this. There are some days in May that don’t get this warm.

So if you’re thinking of visiting my fair city, come this very instant! I promise to buy you lunch.

And we can dine on the patio.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Happy New Year Melissa! I'd love to join you but we're having delightful weather in Calgary right now too. A chinook blew in the other day bringing pressure headaches and bad windblown hair days but I'm still smiling :)

Fri Jan 05, 02:08:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

We moved from Toronto the wrong time, that's for sure. It's 5 degrees and blustery here in Victoria. Enjoy, Mel!

Sat Jan 06, 01:48:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

I was laughing in the car yesterday as I listened to the weather report. The weather guy said, in a very childish tone, "Global Warming. Global Warming. Hope you're all happier now." First storm of the year yesterday. :(

Tue Jan 16, 10:06:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home