The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, December 29, 2006

Maybe She's Born With It, Maybe It's Maybelline

By Anne Chudobiak

"The mouse," says my mother the morning of the twenty-sixth. "It's cordless. There's a base. For recharging."

She's talking to me, the Grinch, I mean, introvert, who went straight to the computer after gleefully putting the children down--"Just one story, tonight." Frances, the badger. It doesn’t get better than that.

"I forgot," I say from the bathroom, where I am forcing my daughter's hair into an elastic. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," says my mother, her tone even more neutral than mine.

"What?" shrieks my daughter, escaping my grasp. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," I tell her, waving a ribbon. "Come back."

"The 'puter," she says. "You broke it?"

"No," I say.

"Of course not," says my mother. "Don't be silly."

"The mouse," I say. "It's cordless."

"There's a base," says my mother.

"Oh," says my daughter. "That's it?"

"Yeah," I say, pulling her in.

"Nice," says my mother, admiring the bow. "Do you always do it like that?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Kids do say the cutest things. Were you at your mother's for Christmas?

Fri Dec 29, 08:58:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

No big bash at your place, Anne? :) I hope you found the quiet and peace this season offers for those who desire it.

Sun Dec 31, 02:20:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger sass said...

like i said, it sounds like christmas tension to me...

Sat Jan 06, 11:16:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home