The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, December 15, 2006

Hoodoos

We are happy to present the winning story from our recent Canadian Travel Stories contest. Kuzhali hails from the coast of southern India. You can find more of her writing on-line at Defenestration, Flashfiction.net, Smokelong Quarterly, Edifice Wrecked, Desilit, Ghoti, Shimmer and Caketrain.

Hoodoos
By Kuzhali Manickavel


This story has been removed from the site in anticipation of publication. Look for it in a prestigious journal coming your way.

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I had never heard of hoodoos before this story. So I learned something about Canada from Kuzhali. However, I did do a project on wind erosion in grade ten geography, so it turns out I've drawn some. Just didn't know what they were called over Alberta way.

Fri Dec 15, 10:30:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

The first time I went to Alberta with Colin, he wanted to show me the hoodoos that he'd seen and was so impressed with as a kid. We drove past them several times before he realized we'd found them. "I remember them as so much bigger!" he said.

I love the layers of meaning in this piece, Kuzhali. Thanks.

Fri Dec 15, 01:03:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Wonderful, Kuzhali! I love this piece.

Sun Dec 17, 10:20:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Thank you for this piece celebrating Alberta from the lone Albertan at the CWC! Have you travelled here? Will you?

Wed Dec 20, 09:30:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great work, thanks so much for submitting!! Happy New Year to you and yours..xo

Wed Dec 27, 11:25:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home