The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Saturday, December 30, 2006

An Inconvenient Truth




Patricia Parkinson

We missed this movie when it came out at the theater. I wanted to see it, kept mentioning to family and friends in conversation, "I want to go see that movie about global warming," but never did. To be honest, I thought the movie would be too boring to sit through. A documentary? No special effects? And not worth the ten dollars each it would have cost Phil and I to go. Twenty dollars, Canadian! stopped me from seeing this movie nine months ago.

I've watched it four times since we rented it a week ago.


I have now bought six copies of the DVD to give to friends and family as Christmas presents! Buy the movie here.

Watch this movie. Make other people watch this movie and change one thing, just one thing that you do already with your recycling, or better yet, add anothing eco friendly aspect to your home. Buy those new lights bulbs, the curly ones that I thought looked weird at first but are fabulous I've found and last forever, forever! I wear more sweaters - wool socks too - and snuggle up to save on electricity. If everyone does one thing, just think how many things can be accomplished!

The best thing we, as a family have done, is to install one of the those double plastic trash bins in our cabinetry. I'm amazed by how my family, myself included, would put tins and water bottles into the old garbage can in the kitchen to not have to walk twenty feet out into the cold garage where we keep the blue box. We were lazy recyclers. Since then, no word of a lie, we've doubled our recycling and have to get another blue box for the curb!!

I know that this problem, this "Inconvenient Truth," requires far larger steps than that, however, it has to start somewhere and I know you've all heard about this a million times before, probably discussed it over a meal with friends or this is not about all talk no action. Do something. Now. We are a global community. This can unite us in one cause, it's the one true commonality we share, regardless of race, religion, political views or side of a border we live on, this is our home.

They say there are no real weapons of mass destruction in Irag. There is. It's the other "Inconvenient Truth. control of oil. People are losing their lives over the thing that will ulitimately destroy our earth. Our earth.

Canadians for Al Gore. That's all I have to say on that matter.

Watch this movie with you kids and make yourself accountable to them.

Ideas to spread the word.

1. Buy a few DVD's and give them as hostess gifts to any parties you're going to over the holidays.

2. Host an Inconvenient Truth movie night at your house, invite some friends, appies, drinks, good discussion about the movie and donate to LINK PROBLEM

3. Make responsible recycling a New Years resolution. Challenge others to do the same.

I'm amazed by how many people, when I mention this movie, just shrug their shoulders and say, "Oh yeah. Global warming. It's an industry problem. There's nothing I can do." Its' such fucking bullshit.

This is something we can do. We have power. Watch this movie, and Al Gore is not bad on the eyes! Really, he's my new crush!! When he raises that eyebrow, let me tell you, he sends his message loud and clear. Do not ignore it. It's not a joke, it's something that we can no longer, "oh yeah, I gotta get that composter," forget about. Where do you want your grandchildren to live? Where do you want your children to live? Where do we all want to live?

More information about Canada's recently passed Clean Air Act here

5 Comments:

Blogger Myfanwy Collins said...

Great post, Patricia!

Sat Dec 30, 09:16:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Colin and I saw this film a while ago and were impressed with Al Gore's dedication to the study of global warning. He's been at it since he was an undergraduate, I believe, so his conviction seems genuine. Some people think it's too late for meaningful preventive measures -- that we need to focus our energy and resources on survival strategies in the face of the inevitable. This topic is going to generate increasing discussion.

Sat Dec 30, 03:24:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much Myfanwy!! and Tricia, you are sooo right and you've put it much better than I did. I realllly hate that "too late" mentality, however, it's something we have to face, but, for me, as with all things in my life, it's never too late for anything. Thanks and Happy New Year to you and Colin.xo

Sat Dec 30, 06:27:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

My husband and I are looking forward to seeing this as all good citizens should but honestly, I was expecting it to be one big depressing guilt trip that would leave us shamed until I read your post, Patricia. You seem hopeful after seeing it. I'm so glad that it obviously has the power to inspire. I gave the DVD to one of my sisters for Christmas and she watched it on Boxing Day. Now she has a signout sheet to lend it the rest of us! (apparently you are encouraged to lend it out at the end of the documentary).

Sun Dec 31, 02:13:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

I have been meaning to see this. I did see the documentary of Al Gore (that accompanied the DVD), and it was very interesting. Apparently those closing credits were added way after the fact, after so many people in the test audiences and festival audiences asked what they can do as individuals. Since they couldn't reshoot, they re-did the titles to show all the different ways people can make an individual difference.

Sun Dec 31, 03:00:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home