The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, November 24, 2006

Getting Ready to Leave NaNo Island for Another Year

by Melissa Bell

Hello everyone, and a very Happy Day After Thanksgiving to our South-of-the-Border friends! Hope your holiday was (and continues to be) a very fine one indeed. If you've managed to NaNo throughout this busy time of year – hats, toques, berets and sombreros off to you. That's one thing we as Canadians don't have staring us in the face as we begin this writing marathon every November 1.

And so, yes, I'm still at it. And I'm tired. I expect I'll break into the 40,000s over the weekend – maybe even today, if I'm lucky - and, while I'm still enjoying how things are rolling along (a miracle some days, I assure you), I am anxious now for it to be over. When you next hear from me, it will be over, and hopefully I will have found something else to talk about by then. Like becoming a non-smoker again. And reacquainting myself with regular exercise. December 1 is the date, my friends. It'll be my Christmas gift to myself.

However, until that time, I'll just say that this NaNoWriMo year has, for some reason, been the best year ever. I can't say why – goodness knows it's not because I started out with a strong outline and a clearly mapped out plan of attack. Almost every day I just tried to sit down and let myself be surprised by what might happen, and, thankfully, most days have been a pleasure. Really. But it's not over until it's over though, and while the end is in sight, the ending is not. I've still got a few hurdles ahead of me. But I will make it this year. That I know.

Have a wonderful weekend, everybody!

7 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I'm already planning next year's nanowrimo. I'm going to do something autobiographical. This year's attempt popped up as needing massive amounts of research- not something you're thankful for when you are trying to crank out the words.

I'm happy to hear yours is going smashingly. I heard you read a chunk at The Gladstone Hotel and it was fantastic. Eager for more!

Fri Nov 24, 09:05:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Me, too. I made the mistake of trying to work on a specific novel idea, when I should have just had fun with it and not planned so much. Next year I'll make it much further. But at least I got a decent start on this one. Good luck on the last leg, Mellyb. We'll be cheering you on!

Fri Nov 24, 10:57:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is great!!! hitting 40,000 this weekend, you're there baby, you're there, I'm plodding away, have written more than I would if there was no nanowrimo...xo wonderful..xo keep going!!

Fri Nov 24, 12:59:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger MelBell said...

Thanks for your support, guys. It means a lot.

I'm hoping I might actually be writing something others might read one day. Looks like I've gone a little insane-ish.

Fri Nov 24, 04:36:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

You can do it.

Good work, Mel. I'm sure it's amazing. And kudos for being able to pull something like this off.

Fri Nov 24, 08:53:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

I'm so impressed, Mel. Having given it a shot this year for the first time, I relaized how difficult it is! Good luck in the final week.

Sat Nov 25, 12:24:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Hey, two more days and you're free! What a good NaNo year this has been for you. Hope we get to see the results one day.

Tue Nov 28, 09:19:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home