The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, November 10, 2006

Remembrance Day



by
Patricia Parkinson

This is a day to remember and contemplate, to think about the world that was, the world that is, and to honor the brave men and women that have fought and continue to fight for the freedoms we have, and most importantly, to never forget.

I will honor this day with a poem, one of my favorite poems, one that I think everyone knows, written by a fellow Canadian, an army physician named John McRae in 1915. The above picture is a copy of the poem in Leiuntant Colonel McRae's handwriting.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.


Please take a moment of time today, have a moment of silence with your family, with your children, let them know how important today is, not a holiday, not a day of missing school, today is a day to remember.

Thank you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Yeah, let's pause to say "Never again" and mean it. We don't seem to learn no matter how many die.

Sat Nov 11, 03:40:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger k1tchenwitch said...

Thanks for posting that, Patricia. It's been too long since I last read it.

Sat Nov 11, 10:11:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh my god, you keep showing up in places that surprise me and make me smile..xoxo Hi Theresa...xoxoox

and thanks so much for reading this Tricia, I saw an amazing parade today in West Vancouver, it was beautiful, the rain held off for the morning, alot of people turned out which was great to see, all the veterns, it was wonderful and sad and God, old men and young men and women. All I could think about were my children.

Sat Nov 11, 11:52:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

I'm ashamed to say life went on as it always does around here. Thank you Patricia, for the inspiration to keeping trying to remember how fortunate we are.

Mon Nov 13, 11:08:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I was stuck in a traffic jam trying to escape the city on the Gardner which was closed due to a (rumoured fatal) accident. The CBC had live coverage from Ottawa, with mournful trumpet solo, and 21 gun salute, and that eerie sound that wind makes blowing into microphones. It sounded like the dead, whispering something.

Mon Nov 13, 12:17:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

When I lived in Ottawa I always attended the ceremony. Never missed it for anything. Being there in person is an amazing experience.

Thanks for this.

Mon Nov 13, 04:23:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

it really was, different being there, I'd never done that before and it happened by fluke, next year I plan on going to the ceremony downtown and taking the kids, they do, however, make a very big deal out of it a my children's school which I'm very grateful for and that sound Andrew, it just cuts right through me, things have changed so much, businesses are open now on remembrance day, life as you say Jen, goes on and that for me, and I'm sure for you too, is the thing that we are most grateful for, that our lives can go on...xoxo

Mon Nov 13, 06:07:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home