The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Monday, November 13, 2006

His Name was Mu'nis

By Andrew Tibbetts

I went to a reading last night- my first Toronto Event since moving here. I felt socially rusty. I don’t know what to say, where to look, what to think, how to feel. Everyone seemed nice, and things were funny and charming. Surely that can’t be right? I was going to blog about it, but I sat with the authors and organizers afterwards and everyone kept joking about who was going to blog about this, and nobody was. I’m unsure of the etiquette of these things. And besides I’m worried that there might have been several metaconversations going on that I was oblivious too. Being a rube. Fresh off the bus. From the provinces. An innocent. Adrift. In the complicated urban sociojungle.

So: I won’t tell you that Pasha Malla, Melissa Bell, John MacFarlane and Michelle Orange were funny and smart. I won’t encourage you to search out their writings. Instead I’ll make something up. Just as the event was about to begin the cure for cancer occurred to me so I rushed out to purchase a professional-looking notebook and fancy pen. I found a quiet café where I could jot it down. I procured a cab. “The New England Journal of Medicine on the double, Cabbie!” I said, offending my taxi driver who "had a name." He muttered, sulked and drove so slowly that we were easily intercepted by agents from BigPharm who stole my cure and wiped my memory. All this happened in a much more amusing way than I have conveyed here. Please imagine that and respond accordingly.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

You are too funny! Work on a cure for writer's block next, will you?

Mon Nov 13, 01:28:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger MelBell said...

My taxi driver insisted on taking me to the nearest ATM - wouldn't take my word for it that the one near my house was fine. Guess he didn't want to take some tipsy chick all the way to the west end, just to have me say "Whoops! No money. Sorry, sir!"

It was great to spend some time with you, Andrew. So nice of you to come to the reading! I had a blast - I hope you did, too. :-)

Mon Nov 13, 08:07:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

you guys are sooo lucky to be able to do that, I would so love to meet all of you, I have never been back east, closest in Winnipeg, how fun!! did you get any pictures Andrew?

Mon Nov 13, 08:12:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

I was thinking of you guys last night, I would have loved to be there. Was it nerve wracking or exciting to finally meet one another in person?

Mon Nov 13, 09:19:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

It was great to meet Pasha Malla and Martin Heavisides and Aaron Burch who I only know from on-line. Melissa I knew from way, way back.

It's fun to meet up. Although, if it's dating and your meeting after chating on-line- it's not always so good.

Tue Nov 14, 03:33:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Glad you all had a good time!

Wed Nov 15, 09:58:00 am GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one multifarious mammal to another, welcome to the complex urban sociojungle, Andrew - I hope you'll like it here :)

Sat Nov 18, 11:03:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home