The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, September 08, 2006

Special Message to the Editor

Ken Alexander, Editor
The Walrus

Dear Ken,

Thank you for the special offer you made my husband when he went to that conference in Toronto. Twenty-four dollars for ten issues--that is a good price. I’m not going to argue. Pre-paid postage and everything on the reply card. A nice touch.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to take you up on your kind offer. It’s not that we aren’t committed, as you say, to elevated discussion. We do care about this country. We love deep thought and brilliance as much as the next guy.

The truth is that I don’t see how I would fit into your “conversation.” How could I? Your fiction department won’t accept unsolicited submissions and your editors have yet to contact me (I check my messages regularly).

I will have to stick with The New Yorker. The subscription price is less attractive, of course, but it was a gift from my mother and their submission policy is more open than yours. As much as I love thinking, I like dreaming more.

Thanks again,

Anne Chudobiak

(Picture courtesy of Esme)

6 Comments:

Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

So funnny, Anne. And I love Esme's walrus!

Fri Sept 08, 11:36:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

Thanks, Anna. I'll tell her.

Fri Sept 08, 12:06:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Cute! You tell 'em.

Fri Sept 08, 02:36:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

ohhh...What a doll Esme is..and I agree, we got the walrus, I hate it, I do...I agree, keep dreaming honey..xoxo

Fri Sept 08, 03:44:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

ohhh...What a doll Esme is..and I agree, we got the walrus, I hate it, I do...I agree, keep dreaming honey..xoxo

Fri Sept 08, 03:44:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Heh, this is funny. I admit, though, I rather like The Walrus, despite its exclusivity, which I find rather off-putting, myself.

Just checked out their website, though, and found this in the About drop-down: "We are committed to publishing the best work by the best writers from Canada and elsewhere on a wide range of topics for readers who are curious about the world. If you're a writer interested in contributing to The Walrus, please see our writer's guidelines..."

There is an error page on the Submissions drop-down, so maybe they're adjusting their perspective?

Or, does hope spring eternal ;)

Fri Sept 08, 05:05:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home