The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Thursday, August 31, 2006

So How'd You Spend Your Summer

by Antonios Maltezos


I’ve started using foldback clips with tempered steel nickel plated arms to keep the pages of my stories together, the miniature clips that come in little boxes of twelve. Something new, you know, to keep things fresh. I finally got a flat screen, too, so there’s more room on my desk for when I need to scribble with a pencil. I don’t have to set my coffee down on my stories anymore, either, leaving brown rings on all the page ones. There’s room on the desk for everything -- my knick-knack basket full of used batteries and stuff, a pair of pliers, needle and thread, old post-its, push pins, any ponytail lastics I’ve picked up around the house – that kind of crap. I still have a messed-up pile of papers in front of the printer, but it’s in my periphery, so hardly a bother.

Things are looking up. It’s a bit colder in the mornings, so I’ve started wearing my slippers again, which means the soles of my feet are cleaner these days. I’ve already mentioned the foldback clips with the nickel plated wings, right? I tossed out a couple reams worth of story the other day, and I came away with the pockets of my writer’s robe full of the little buggers. It feels good recycling, though I’m not sure how long a staple will last in the weather, in a dump. Probably not long. Still, you know…

Umm, I opened a fresh can of coffee today. Got hit smack in the face with that full-bodied aroma thing, which is always nice. Helps with the writing, I think, because it gets the snap-crackle-pop thing going in the brain. Tried beer, but I was fizzled out by lunch time. What else? I finally stopped using that Barbasol shaving cream. No more rusty cans for this writer. I went out to the Wal-mart and got me some of that fancy gel, so the next whack of shaves should be cool and soothing. Yup, things are definitely looking up.

What else? What else? Ho, yah! Kids are back in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

It's my first rentrée scolaire. I'm not quite at the exclamation mark. Maybe next year?

Thu Aug 31, 12:06:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

I'm in a holding pattern now too, Tony before the new year begins. May it bring you many productive hours of writing!

Thu Aug 31, 01:01:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I remember those days waiting for the kids to be back in school mainly because daycare wasss easier. Enjoy, Tony!

Mon Sept 04, 04:49:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

That Barbasol shaving thing is sooooo true. If a potential date had it in his bathroom I wouldn't go out with him again, anyway, I actually, got quite a bit of writing done this summer, happy writing, good times looking at the same two words, however, I did come out with a few things, I'm so very sad about summer being over, I cannot tell you, I am going to have to do...I have no idea, I may just collapse after I drop the kids off at school, away from the school so they don't witness my meltdown...I am going back to work tomorrow, and god, I'm so going to miss my family after spending so much more time with them, I realllly am, sometimes, they freaking drive me!!! but, god!!! I CANNOT STAND BEING A WORKING MOM!!! I HATE IT...SO...whew...thank you....I'm sorry to choose your blog to vent this sadness, I cried today in the bathroom when we came back from the shcool and found out what classes the kids are in.....anyway...this is going to be a great year for you, for allll of us...here's to lots of success and writing and luck and hope and letting go just that much when more I say goodbye to my kids tomorrow morning...xox

Tue Sept 05, 01:48:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home