The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Home



by Patricia Parkinson

Been home from holidays for three hours. I have to say, I am so happy to be here. Not that we didn't have a great time, we had the best time, the best, the weather was wonderful and when it wasn't we snugged down in the trailer on the fold down table and the fold down couch and watched movies and told stories and went to bed with sand between our toes, and other areas of our bodies I'm sure, and on the sunny days, it was paradise on earth sitting on the edge of the Okanagan Lake in my black and pink bathing suit, building sandcastles, rowing out in the dingy to bird poop island, which later became known as, "The Big Floating Turd," as RV, was the movie of our last two weeks, projected one night on the side of a 40' with three pull outs, the guy had a projecting TV that hooked up to his laptop and we had movie nights, don't ever say that I don't know how to rough it, anyway, okay....lololo...it makes me laugh at myself, that and I found the greatest boutique of alllll boutiques in Westbank, had some alone time one afternoon after a tiff with my hubby sent me off to town in nothing but my suit and a sarong, the hundred square feet held charm for only so long, that and a cell phone call from hell, don't ask, that ended up with me on the buying end in a groovy store that carried a clothing line by the name of "Velvet," I was in consumer and credit card heaven, even went back today it was our last stop of the day as I have made a vow to myself to not leave a place and say, "I wish I did this or I did that," you know, like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower, I had to go back to that shop and try on the red sweater I had seen hanging from a maniquin and walked past! GOD! It looks great on me and was stuffed with it's gold bag, (gold bags!) between the now deflated dingy and the roof of the truck. All in all, our holiday was spent looking, looking out, book in hand or computer turned on, I had the best intentions, really I did, but I looked instead at my daughter who went on her first speed boat and taught me, "When you find a penny on the ground tails up, you turn it over and leave it heads up for the next person," it's the best rule in life I've heard since becoming an adult and my son who poured pizza sauce over our sand volcano to simulate lava and told the folks gathered round the campfire that his mother had "diaherra farts," and my husband who flashed me while barbecquing burgers while wearing the most ridiculous red pair of bathing trunks and will understand because he does and won't question the value of the contents of the gold bags, yes, there was more than one, and knows something about star formations that I never knew he knew before.

We went camping and now we're home. I was first in the house as I am every year and stood in the doorway from the laundry room to the kitchen and sort of gasped at the vastness of space and surprise that I actually live in this house. It's our house. Camping on a bigger scale.

Life in a one hundred square foot trailer, okay, maybe it's bigger, narrow, but bigger, with four people, is an experience to treasure, to remember, to endure, the bathroom had lap space only, but in the creases of my tan and in the memories and lessons I will treasure and remember the thing I take away from this vacation is that things don't have to clean and shiny to be perfect, that something doesn't have to be eloquent to be romantic and everything, they, them, he and me too, can be just what we are.

My vow today is to hold tight to this camping feeling.

This is a picture of my family last night at the campfire. If I can ever figure out how to post this picture I will do it..xoxo I promise xoxoxo



Happy Labour Day weekend everyone..xoxoxo Enjoy xoxo

9 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Hey, welcome back! We missed you. Our enthusiam tank was dangerously low. Can't believe you survived such tight quarters. I would have been somewhere else first day, I'm sure.

Sat Sept 02, 01:49:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Welcome home, Patricia ~ great lessons here, I hope you are able to take them through the fall with you! Love your carefree pic.

Sat Sept 02, 02:41:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey ladies, it's good to be back, the kids are getting their school, blick, supplies together and I'm still doing laundry and cleaning and you know....thanks for reading xoxo

Sat Sept 02, 04:24:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Phil Jones said...

And what of the eerie pink sun that day? Wood smoke from our neighbours to the south gave the sun a horrible end-of-days hue that freaked everyone out a little more than they might admit.
There are always some good and bad things when you holiday together. One can only hope that the good outweighs the bad; it did.
Maybe if you cajole Patricia into it, she might post a pic of all of us around the campfire. Was that a groan. Great holiday.

Sat Sept 02, 09:53:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

yes, the eerie pink sun with my and the kids stranded in the dingy in the bible camp, and alll kinds of things happened, and do happen, and well, nice to see you here Phil, it's about goddamn time...xoxo

Sat Sept 02, 11:50:00 pm GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Patricia!
It sounds perfect, and snug, and close, and funny, and pretty, and all good things. I'm glad you kids had such a fine time, and welcome back to Canada!

Oh...I guess you never left. But next time you leave Canada, and return, these words will welcome you home.

Sun Sept 03, 09:46:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger buck said...

oh, post the campfire pic! i'd love to see that, and it is freaky when the sun sets through smoky skies. sounds like a great adventure. welcome back!

Sun Sept 03, 11:49:00 am GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do want to see that campfire picture, but I love the photo of you, smiling in the sunshine, Patricia...

Kath

Sun Sept 03, 12:26:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

HA!!! I have not clue how to post the campfire picture, it will remain a mystery.....lololol on vacation I did manager 1500 words on my novel, which was fabulous and requires no pictures..xoxo love you guys..xoxo

Sun Sept 03, 03:12:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home