The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Small Gripe


Lately, my innards pucker when I see the Microsoft Word screen. Those same old toolbars! Those shades of blue! I’ve been trying to give myself some fresh inspiration. I try to cover the damn top fifth of the screen with a still picture, but the page is still the same irritating blank white between the blue-grey sidelines and that ruler on the left and the slidebar on the right. I’ve set the page up with background colour, use strange and colourful fonts, etc… but it’s just no good. I need something completely different. I’ve been typing with Notepad but that’s gotten old too. I’ve even resorted to long hand on a legal pad but it’s too irritating compared to the cut-paste ease of word processing. Is it just me who doesn’t want to stare at the same screen everyday of his life? Will the future bring us more or less variety?

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

you crack me up Andrew Tibbets :)

Wed Jul 23, 01:30:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Matt said...

You could always try OpenOffice...but then again, how many unique variants of a word processor are possible?

Wed Jul 23, 02:19:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tania Hershman said...

Leave the Dark Side and come into the light with Linux! I recommend Ubuntu, I love it. No tech qualifications necessary.

Wed Jul 23, 03:13:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tania Hershman said...

Oops, that should be this link,

Wed Jul 23, 03:14:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Crystal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed Jul 23, 06:20:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

You need challenges. My writer's group picks random words, sentences and pictures, and then challenges us to write 1500 words using those elements. Sometimes it turns into a bigger story.

The computer application isn't the issue, it's the application of the fingers to the keyboard.

Fri Jul 25, 10:20:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home