The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, July 04, 2008

Kuzhali Manickavel


Hurray! Kuzhali Manickavel’s debut collection, Insects Are Just Like You and Me Except Some of Them Have Wings, is out from Blaft Publications Private Limited.

You might remember Kuzhali’s story “Hoodoos” which placed first in our Canadian Travel Stories Contest in 2007. If you are new to Kuzhali’s work, you are in for a treat. If you know her work already, you are probably, like me, on hold to India right now trying to order the book.

Here’s what Miranda July has to say about the collection:

"Not merely lyrical and strange, but also deadpan funny. I can’t shake the feeling that I know this woman, personally -- like we hung out at a party or something. But I don’t, and we didn’t. She’s just that good."

9 Comments:

Blogger TJL said...

Congratulations, Kuzhali!

Fri Jul 04, 06:06:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Yeah! Wonder if she's still reading us.

Fri Jul 04, 08:38:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger kuzhali manickavel said...

Mais oui, I am a sort-of-but-not-really Canadian after all.

Thanks very much for the post and good wishes :)

k

Sat Jul 05, 04:46:00 am GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to this book! I hope there are ants!

Sat Jul 05, 11:26:00 am GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Blaft with an L not R. And yes there are ants :-)

Sat Jul 05, 03:36:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Glad you're still with us, Kuzhali. Many congrats! I hope the book does well. Good for you, getting Miranda July's endorsement!

Sat Jul 05, 04:42:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Rakesh, thanks for the correction. I went in and changed it for Andrew. Blaft, not Braft.

Sat Jul 05, 04:44:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Oops, sorry about the brafting of the blaft- I was too excited to put the post up and stinted on the proofreading, lesson learned! Thanks Tricia for catching it!

Mon Jul 07, 12:41:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

I dearly loved this book. My review can be read here.

Thu Dec 24, 04:11:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home