The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, October 19, 2007

Blog, Blogger, Paradise

The only blogging initiative I’ve taken lately has been to add the words blog, blogger and blogosphere to my spellchecker, and I only did that to facilitate my freelance translation work, which has been particularly challenging of late, because of a lack of time. I’ve been busy managing infectious disease—two cases of chicken pox, three cases of stomach flu, and one residual hacking cough (mine).

This weekend, in the name of health, I’ve decided to drop everything and abscond to Toronto, where the International Festival of Authors is in full swing. I have tickets to see Shalom Auslander (who might be familiar to some readers of this blog as “that Jewish guy...the one who lives in New York”) and A.L. Kennedy, whose second most recent novel, Paradise, I just bought today.

I went into the used bookstore around the corner from my house, and it was there, on prominent display, exactly the book I had been hoping to find so that I could take it with me on the train to Toronto. When I told the owner about this lucky coincidence, he said that he'd only just put the book on the shelf five minutes before.

I can only conclude that this bodes well for my trip. Now, to get rid of this cough…

p.s. I have a review of Marie-Claire Blais's Augustino and the Choir of Destruction in the Montreal Review of Books, which can be found locally as an insert in today's Globe of Mail.
p.p.s. I have a review of Maya Merrick's The Hole Show in tomorrow's Gazette. If I have time before leaving, I'll post a link.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Get healthy and have fun, okay? I read a collection of stories by A.L. Kennedy ages ago but haven't kept up with her. Let us know what you think of her newest, when you have a disease-free moment.

Fri Oct 19, 01:16:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Looking forward to reading your reviews! When the time comes... just don't forget to give me a good one!!!

Fri Oct 19, 02:55:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

I don't expect you to review my book. Maybe about five books down the road, provided we're still young enough to see. Have a nice time in TO, and take care of that stubborn cough. It can easily develop into bronchitis if you don't rest.

Fri Oct 19, 09:58:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Glad you're taking a break. Enjoy! Looking forward to reading your reviews, Anne. Hopefully, you'll have some reviews of the Festival to share, too.

Sun Oct 21, 03:19:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Hi, Anne! Thanks for inviting me along to the International Festival of Authors. I live here in Toronto but I never manage to head down there for this event. I'm so glad I went. As we were saying over the complimentary starbucks, what a pleasure to be in a world where books matter, even for a moment. Good to see you as well. Should we flip a coin over who blogs about House of Anansi?

Mon Oct 22, 09:06:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home