The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, October 07, 2007

51 (More or Less) Reasons I'm Delighted to be Giving Thanks


by Melissa Bell

I love lists. Here’s a bunch of things I’m thankful for, in no particular order.

1) Not smoking
2) It’s 30 degrees Celsius today or something really close
3) Free-ish healthcare
4) Clean water
5) A warm bed with clean sheets and pillows
6) My mom
7) My dad
8) L’Occitane Almond Oil Shower Gel
9) Paris
10) Manos del Uruguay yarn #113
11) President’s Choice Kettle-Cooked Chips, all flavours
12) Bob & George
13) Elliott
14) Chocolate chai-spiced cupcakes
15) The kindness of strangers
16) James Dyson
17) Diane, my Avon representative
18) The Newmans
19) My hands
20) My legs
21) My eyes
22) I can afford glasses
23) My sweet, sweet MacBook
24) Cell phones on extremely rare, very special occasions
25) Mr. Clean Magic Erasers
26) Aurora borealis
27) Post-It Notes
28) Palak paneer and warm naan
29) Fresh ice cubes in the freezer
30) The lawn rake I bought today at Canadian Tire for $3.99 after I saw lawn rakes for sale in the weekend Canadian Tire flyer 10 minutes after I went into the garage to find I couldn’t find my lawn rake! How fabulous is that? Pretty darn fabulous.
31) The Moon and all the stars
32) My flying car (okay, that one’s for the future – I just know it’s imminent!)
33) Bearnaise sauce
34) Edward Gorey
35) Butterflies
36) Pens with lights in them so you can write in the dark
37) The dry cleaner who got the huge stain out of my pink raincoat
38) Winners (the store)
39) Winners – you know who you are
40) Barbie and all her Friends
41) Poutine (why, poutine, are you on every list no matter what?)
42) George Clooney
43) Brad Pitt
44) Parrot tulips
45) This beautiful country and the people who live here
46) This wonderful planet
47) Everyone who’s ever done anything to keep this planet wonderful
48) Anchovies
49) Thunderstorms
50) Stuffing and pumpkin pie – had to get seasonal at some point!
51) The lessons I learn every day

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone! Have a wonderful safe one.

Photo of Elliott Bell, all ready for Thanksgiving diiner, taken by his personal assistant, Mel Bell.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

Holy Guacamole, that's a lot to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for the friends who don't think I'm a total idiot.

Oh, and my kids don't hate me.

Sun Oct 07, 12:12:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Hey, Mel, I'm thankful for you and your wonderful lists. Happy Thanksgiving!

Mon Oct 08, 06:50:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I'm thankful for MelBel, too, Tricia, and you! And all the CWC'ers and our friends.

I'm so proud of you, Melissa, for quitting smoking. That takes will power!

Tue Oct 09, 09:12:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

I, too, am thankful for so many things. And thank you, Mel, for getting me to think about it.

Tue Oct 09, 10:10:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home