The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why I Love Montreal

Yesterday I went to the tofu store to buy some tofu, only to find that they were plumb out. They had vats full of freshly made ginger tofu and black bean tofu, but no more regular, which I wanted for my miso soup.

“Sorry,” the Korean cashier told me, “the Cirque du Soleil took it all. They eat a lot of tofu, you understand.”

“About the ginger tofu,” I asked. “Will children eat it?”

“It depends on their age,” said the cashier, which I took as a ‘no.’ It seemed that my soup would have to wait for another day.

Hence the old adage: You can’t always beat the circus to the tofu store (or, in the original French: C’est la vie, c’est tout.)

4 Comments:

Blogger TJL said...

Ha. That Cirque... Always getting in the way!

I'm glad you didn't go for the ginger tofu.

Tue Sept 25, 02:25:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Ginger tofu sounds awesome!

Now I know what to give Le Cirque for their birthday!

Tue Sept 25, 05:22:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger MelBell said...

Oh man, I would have been all over that ginger tofu.

It's good to know the Cirque eat healthy. But I can't believe they took all the plain. What's wrong with the black bean? It all sounds amazingly yummy. I want a tofu store!

Tue Sept 25, 10:10:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger sass said...

oh crap. is that how you spell "plumb"?

sheeeet.

along the same "vain", arcade fire hit me with their hoodie at a certain coffee shop. the zipper part got me right on the shin.

Mon Oct 01, 04:31:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home