The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Who Needs Shakespeare?


Bright are the stars that shine

But, soft! What light through yonder window breaks?

Dark is the sky.

It is the east and Juliet is the sun,

I know this love of mine

Will never die.

Arise, fair sun and kill the envious moon,

Who is already sick and pale with grief,

That thou her maid art far more fair than she.

And I love her.


Goodnight, my love,

Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow

Pleasant dreams and sleep tight, my love;

That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

May tomorrow be sunny and bright,

And bring you closer to me.



Ooh, ooh, ooh,

I feel my temperature rising.

Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs;

Help me, I’m flaming,

Being purged, a fire sparkling in lovers’ eyes;

I must be a hundred and nine.

Being vex’d, a sea nourish’d with lovers’ tears;

My brain is flaming,

What is it else? A madness most discreet,

I don’t know which way to go.

A choking gall and a preserving sweet.

I’m just a hunk, a hunk of burning love.


Bye bye love,

O, here will I set up my everlasting rest,

Bye bye happiness,

And shake the yoke of inauspicious stars

From this world-wearied flesh.

Hello loneliness.

I think I’m gonna cry.

Eyes, look your last!

Bye bye love,

Bye bye sweet caress,

Arms, take your last embrace!

Hello emptiness,

Thus with a kiss I die.

I feel like I could die.



And I Love Her by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, recorded by the Beatles. Good Night My Love by George Motola and John Marascalco, recorded by the McGuire Sisters. Burning Love by Dennis Linde, recorded by Elvis Presley. Bye Bye Love by Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, recorded by the Everly Brothers. Italicized lines from Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.

Photo: Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in the 1996 film version of Romeo and Juliet

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Pure genius.

Sun Feb 18, 09:11:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Yay! Somebody's reading. Thanks, Steve.

Sun Feb 18, 09:42:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Lovely, Tricia. And thanks for slipping in the King.

Wed Feb 21, 07:24:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

This is a hoot! What fun it must have been to write.

Fri Feb 23, 02:22:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home