The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, February 09, 2007

Workshop Dynamics in the Home

By Anne Chudobiak

"All done," I say from my seat at the computer.

"Your personal essay?” says my husband. “I’m busy right now. Could you print it out and I’ll have a look later? Maybe on the weekend.”

“You don’t have to,” I say as I log off. “I already have a couple of readers lined up.”

"You don’t want me to read it?" he asks.

“I don’t want you to get upset again,” I say.

“Tell me,” he says.

“It’s not you, per se. It’s us. I portray our relationship as very childish. Kind of competitive. And I compare you to a woman. With flab.”

“You really don’t want me to read it?”

“Let me see if I can’t make it more tender. Better illustrate the love between us. Maybe I could add a scene."

"Tender isn't very funny," he says.

"No, not really.”

"Childish and competitive is a lot better."

"Yeah," I say. "Hey, you know, maybe you could go ahead and read it. If you want.”

"You wouldn't mind?"

"Nah. Not so much."

***

Coup de coeur/pick of the week: Montreal writer Neil Smith’s Bang Crunch. This book is attracting a lot of attention for a short-story collection. Some of the buzz has to do with the publisher: Knopf Canada. The company’s New Face of Fiction program is best known for having launched Yann Martel. Before you give in to writerly jealousy (“A debut hardcover?”), you should know that the book is deserving, and the author, equally so. To see him read is to wish him every success. Watch out, David Adams Richards! There’s a new Nice Guy in CanLit.

Public service announcement: If you plan to attend a literary event, please take your camera. That way you can share your photos with the Quill and Quire flickr pool, an interesting project that could use a little help. As it stands, there are too many pictures of books and not enough of authors. (And check out the blog, where you can watch the 3-Day Novel trailer. You won’t be disappointed. Was that the former MuchMusic VJ Kim Clarke Champniss?)

5 Comments:

Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

You dared compare him to a woman... with flab? You crack me up Chudobiak!

Fri Feb 09, 09:31:00 am GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the fire works will fly on Valentine's Day:) in your home. But, the 'apologies' are always fun.

Diane
The Maple Room

Fri Feb 09, 09:53:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

hilarious..xo Happy Valentines Day Anne. I'm thinking of doing the three day novel thing this year...thinking..

Fri Feb 09, 11:37:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Funny, Anne! I can picture the scene so clearly. And thanks for the link to new faces. Something to aspire to (or foolishly dream about).

Sat Feb 10, 02:26:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger sass said...

a doesn't have any flab.

i'll have to check him out the next time he parades around in shorts (june).

Sun Feb 11, 10:37:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home