The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Thursday, February 01, 2007

What is Love... baby, don't hurt me...

By Antonios Maltezos



”Neanderthal!”

I think she’s saying it has something to do with my skull, the bones of my face.

“We aren’t meant for each other. You never put the seat down,” she says, shaking her head. “And I can’t keep wiping your crumbs off the counter.”

“But they’re not my crumbs,” I say. “I’ve stopped eating.”

“Don’t you understand?” she screeches, squeezing her fist, her painted nails like dripping blood.

“I do,” I whisper. She wants me gone from here, but I'm weakened from malnourishment, and my heart is palpitating, my lips pursed as if I want a kiss. I’m not feeling very well. She pauses with me, and then jumps as if she’s on fire. Freaks right out, saying she hates me. She hates me.

I know. I want to tell her that I know, but there’s something halting about the way she pulls at her hair rather than tear me to pieces -- stops my breath.

(originally published at Quicktion online.)

13 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Young said...

Hey, that's the best word here, Tony, halting. Nice piece.

Thu Feb 01, 10:13:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Joseph Young said...

meaning that it's a great word choice, if that wasn't clear. carries so much with it.

Joe

Thu Feb 01, 10:55:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Weird and wonderful, Tony. Love the title!

Thu Feb 01, 12:36:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Way to start off the month, Tony!

Thu Feb 01, 02:26:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Sounds like love to me!

Thu Feb 01, 04:30:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Thanks for stopping by, folks! I thought a question might be appropriate for day one.

Fri Feb 02, 07:08:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

ohhh...stopped me in my tracks my friend, halting, wonderfulxoxo

Fri Feb 02, 02:27:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh my, trying to post a comment!!! I love this tony, it stopped me, halting, love it, love it, thank you for sharing it with us.xoxoxo

Fri Feb 02, 02:45:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh my, trying to post a comment!!! I love this tony, it stopped me, halting, love it, love it, thank you for sharing it with us.xoxoxo

Fri Feb 02, 02:48:00 pm GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, Antonios, the local police are going to cite you for 'ridiculously cute.'

Diane Smith
The Maple Room

Fri Feb 02, 03:03:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh my, trying to post a comment!!! I love this tony, it stopped me, halting, love it, love it, thank you for sharing it with us.xoxoxo

Fri Feb 02, 03:44:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Stop, Patricia! Stop! We're drowning in your posts!

Fri Feb 02, 04:01:00 pm GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good drama here, Tony. Like a solid roux after a long simmer, you've managed to boil it all down to a few words, a few gestures, the bare essentials.

Russell

Sun Feb 11, 08:45:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home