The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Truth and Fiction

By H. E. Eigler
As soon as I was given the chance to post during the CWC month of love, I began to debate whether I would write a fiction piece or a non-fiction piece. I couldn’t decide so you are getting one of each.




Love – a fiction
By H.E.Eigler



The car stereo is broken. Driving home from work is so monotonous. Everyday the journey is the same, except today. Today there is a green truck in my rear view mirror. In the truck sits a man. He is old. He is steering the truck with his elbow as he twists the arm of his sunglasses over and over in his ear. It must be itchy.

I’m disgusted so I pry my eyes from the nasty scene and look ahead at a red Jeep.

I can see this occupant is also a man.

He has his arm on the windowsill. There is a cast on it to the elbow. Poor guy.
I can see his face in the side mirror. He has great hair; just long enough to show a few curls forming.

I love him.

His jawbone has a smattering of stubble. I wonder what it would be like to kiss him. Would the stubble be rough or soft? Would his skin smell of soap or the repercussions of his workday?

Soon, I’m sure he will put on his signal and pull over into a gas station or parking lot.

He is looking at me in his mirror. I can tell he is pleased with what he sees. He is smiling. My rear view still shows Mr. Grossness who is tailgating me now. I tap the brakes.

My exit is approaching but Red Jeep doesn’t turn so neither do I. We must be going to his place where he is going to cook me dinner while I browse through his music collection. I wish my car stereo were working.

He is using the arm with the cast to steer now. What is that in his other hand?

A cell phone. What a bastard.

He is talking to another woman; I can tell by the smile on his face. He is laughing.
The side mirror on the red Jeep reflects a smirk directed right at me.

How could I not have known? I’m such a fool for trusting him. How could I let myself fall in love with somebody who drives around with a broken taillight anyway?

My God, what was I thinking? And now I’ve missed my turn off because he mislead me. I think I’m lost. Even Mr. Grossness has stopped riding my tail. I feel so disorientated. Maybe I have a map somewhere.

I push aside some empty fast food bags and find the map. When I look up again, Red Jeep is gone. I miss him so much. And I blame myself for how our relationship ended. I acted so horribly. I completely understand why he cheated and why he left me. It was because I smothered him, suffocated him. I followed too close.




Love – a truth
By H.E.Eigler



I don’t know if you will look like your father or me. I don’t know if you will be a boy or a girl. We’ve never met, but you are now and will forever be a part of me. It won’t be long until I can name you, until I can hold you and feed you. I am anxious to see what colour your eyes will be.

And your father, he is overjoyed. He has been waiting for you for a long time now. Your father and I have been in love for many years and after so much time has passed, we both knew that our feelings were too vast to share only amongst ourselves. Love? Well, you will never be without that. Love means we will be there unconditionally. It means we will have your best interests close to our hearts. It means you can be who you want to be and have somewhere to call home, because soon you will be out in the world.

Everyday I feel more and more connected to you. Each kick you deliver grows the bond we are forming. I had no idea that all my thoughts would consist of you; that all I would want is to hold you. Maybe someday when you are grown, with a tiny life bonding itself to yours, you will finally understand all that I am trying to explain. You will know an expanse of love like you never thought possible.

Rest easy now; you will need your energy for the big journey. See you soon little one.

15 Comments:

Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Lovely post. Ranges from the most desperate and insane form of love, to the purest.

Thu Feb 22, 10:13:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Well, you took me from laughter to tears. Just great, Heather. Thanks.

Thu Feb 22, 11:30:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Heather, thanks for joining us. Your truth and your fiction are both super reads. You know, you could make a whole series of pairs like this. Write a truth and a fiction on several scenes. It could be a really interesting project. I certainly enjoyed the pair right hear today. Best, Andrew

Thu Feb 22, 01:25:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Charles Gramlich said...

I loved the fiction piece. Absolutely wonderful. Hilarious and creepy at the same time, which is a difficult mix to pull off.

The non-ficiton piece is much more personal, but for those of us who have children, and I remember the feeligns very well when my 19 year old son was a baby, it rings intensly true. You should save this to show your baby when he/she is older. (Maybe don't show 'em the first piece for a good while, though. ;)

Thu Feb 22, 03:53:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa McMann said...

Loved them both!

Thu Feb 22, 04:47:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger lisa ling said...

love has many sides, and these two are quite a pair...beautifully done

Thu Feb 22, 10:00:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Welcome Heather! These are lovely pieces which explore the gap between the desire to give and the need to have.

Thu Feb 22, 10:16:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger kimber said...

Beautiful words, beautiful sentiments, beautiful emotions. Well done!

Thu Feb 22, 10:50:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

I prefer the honesty of the nonfiction piece because it is full of hope, as well as love.

Thu Feb 22, 11:41:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Great post. I love the fiction because it carries so much truth in its craziness. The motherhood stuff is a sort of fiction to me, as I am not likely to have children, but it's a lovely read :)

Fri Feb 23, 02:19:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger ivan said...

Heather,

Top drawer!

I must congratulate the CWC for their taste and discernment; they obviously know good work.

I was especially taken with the fiction piece. Yes, that's the way young girls and women often daydream...sometimes they will come out to a complete stranger and blurt, "I love you" for no apparent reason.
You just wait until the women come in on this!

Your nonfiction piece is near to wonderful poetry.

I knew you had the stuff.

Ivan

Fri Feb 23, 11:54:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

this is so amazing, how wonderful Heather, thank you so very much, love this, all of it..xox

Fri Feb 23, 12:05:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Heather said...

Thank you to everyone who read and commented. And thanks to Jen and the CWC for the invitation to participate in this good thing you've got going on over here. I had a great time :)

Fri Feb 23, 01:29:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger blackcrag said...

Nice work, Heather.

I like the fiction piece... how everything comes from nothing, a relationship from a glance in a mirror. I think I knew a girl like this once.

Sun Feb 25, 03:57:00 pm GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,
that's a wonderful piece of writing-
deeply felt and passionate!
luluvillage.

Wed Apr 16, 10:01:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home