The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The World Talks Aids: Mexico City, 2008


by Andrew Tibbetts

Well, this is my second day at the International Aids Conference 2008, in Mexico City and I'm just managing to move out from the under the feeling of being overwhelmed. The conference is the size of a small city. A busy one.

Right now I'm plugged into the free internet cafe surrounded by people from all over the world with their laptops connecting to the folks back home. I've seen the facebook and hotmail interfaces in a dozen languages.

(Oversimplifying everything:) I've attended a workshop on using music and theatre to combat homophobia in Africa, a seminar on the neurological effects of HIV, a panel on the queer black diaspora, and a documentary film festival on the plight of prostitutes in Asia. Pretty soon I'm going to a skill building workshop on how to publish research!


Each morning begins with a massive plenary. This morning Elena Reynaga a sex worker and sex work advocate from Argentina gave a rousing speech that had half the (huge) crowd on it's feet cheering and half sitting still not even clapping. She's my new favourite person on the planet. SEX WORK IS REAL WORK!

It's too exciting to waste time writing about- so I'll keep this short for now and drop in again sometime soon!

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

I was watching an interesting show the other day. It was talking about how aids has been "forgotten" about. Yet there are still tens of thousands of new cases every year. I look forward to hearing more about his, Andrew.

Wed Aug 06, 11:55:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I'm so glad you're there, Andrew, and yes: sex work is real work. There's an organization in Victoria that's trying to get that message across. I'll send you some links.

Fri Aug 08, 05:30:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Good for you, Andrew. Yay, passion!

Sat Aug 09, 05:02:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home