The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Monday, March 03, 2008

Nether here, nor there

by Antonios Maltezos

Trying to write a blog, a blog/essay, actually, on the spot -- you’re already several hours into your post day -- is nearly impossible for me to do. Had this been more of a laid back conversational affair, it might be easier coming up with a post this late hour. But let’s face it, my fellow CWCers have written some brilliant stuff over these last couple of years. You can’t pretend they were never written, They’re always there at the back of your mind, telling you that if you slack, the difference between your post and theirs will be so great - as to be great, as in this post was one of those memorable moments at the CWC, great meaning a heapum pile of crap that day, the lowest of the low moments.

Their topics are so diverse, the issues so pressing, for the most part -- very relevant to be sure, that I can’t help thinking they have something I don’t. I’m not saying I’m dumb, or anything, just that I know my limitations. If you categorize everybody’s posts, mine would be the fluff that collects between the wall and the side of the dryer. Phtt! It’s true.

Truth is, I’ve gotten to know these people in the last couple of years on an intellectual and emotional level. That’s how you figure people’s smarts. You add these two together and divide by two. I had no idea who they were when I signed up for this blog. I started off with the assumption they were all like me. How untrue.

We’re not like best friends, or even long friendships, but we do share something special together, maybe not too exciting, but special anyway. We’ve been able to share our way of thinking with each other. We’ve been intimate in that way, knowing that our closest readers, ourselves, would get a clear picture of who we are after hundreds of posts. We share a trust, that we each of us accept our differences to the point where they don’t exist anymore. It’s awesome! We never fight. We’re always supportive of each other. We always listen, never judge. It’s a little side-reality. My fellow CWCers will understand and forgive me for this post that goes neither here nor there, that it’s the best I can do at the moment.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony, I think you've written some pretty memorable posts (and not of the heapum crap variety). In particular I like the ones about writing -- your approach and process, the questions that arise for you -- exactly because they are different than, say, what has occurred to me before, and so much better for that. I don't always find an immediate response to them -- hence the dearth of comments from me -- but they are questions I find myself reflecting on afterwards. Today, I thought I would comment.

Mon Mar 03, 01:11:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

THIS is one of my favourite posts. It's so clear and genuine. You, and the others, are a gift to me.

Mon Mar 03, 01:14:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Wow. Thank you both for the kind and gracious comments.

Mon Mar 03, 04:03:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Anne C. said...

This is very sweet! And on my anniversary.

Mon Mar 03, 06:20:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Tony, your posts are hardly fluff. Your shoot-from-the-heart, 'master of masculine sensitivity' (as I once deemed you) style is a perfect complement to all the other voices in this here group. You big shmuck, we adore you and your posts!

Mon Mar 03, 07:25:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Thank you.

Mon Mar 03, 10:01:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Yeah, what all dem said. You write from the heart, Tony, and it's a real gift. We love ya.

Mon Mar 03, 11:17:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Heather said...

Well, that's why I love coming here! There is always such variety in both the voices of the authors AND the subject matter. I never get bored and I never know what I'll find next.

Great post!

Tue Mar 04, 01:01:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Great and touching sentiment. The CWC is a great thing, made greater by all of the members and readers. I feel proud to be a part of it. Thanks for reminding me, Tony.

Tue Mar 04, 02:47:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Tony, your posts have helped me get to know you by understanding your writing better. I enjoy posts of yours that explain how you got to the end product - especially the darker stories. I'm so glad you acknowledged the wonderful relationship between the CWC members here. While I'm sure it's deepened in the past year, this is the way I remember it, and what I miss so much about you guys.

Sun Mar 09, 05:32:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home