The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, February 15, 2008

It's Almost Here!


Long weekend coming up. The first take-a-day-off holiday in February for Ontarians: Family Day. I'm all for more holidays, especially one that breaks up the long dreary winter between New Year's Day and Easter. A few places in Canada have already experienced this sort of mid-February break. I hope the rest of the country catches on.

Thing is I'm not sure what to do on Family Day. I already spend a lot of time with my family members, either on the phone or in person.

What are other families planning on doing with this holiday? Going out for dinner? Staying in and playing board games? Checking out a movie together?

What are you doing this Monday?

Picture of what Elliott will likely be doing on Monday.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I had no idea we were heading into a long weekend. I'm like Elliot. Every day the same. And I thought Family Day was only in Alberta. How long has Ontario been celebrating it?

Sat Feb 16, 01:42:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

I don't have that holiday here in Quebec, but if you check out my Friday blog I suggested that Fridays should become 'Happy,' similar to our other 'Happy' days.

I think I'm in a serious February funk! It didn't help that I got the dreaded flu this week either (after watching my son go through it too!)

Spring, that's what we need. Well, it's certainly what I need anyway!

Sat Feb 16, 09:43:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger MelBell said...

Tricia, this is our first time. According to Wikipedia, it's also celebrated in Saskatchewan as well as Alberta. Manitoba also has the day off, but it's Louis Riel Day.

Sat Feb 16, 10:19:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger MelBell said...

Yes, jsnider, it's hard to believe that spring is "officially" a little over a month away.

Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Have a warm brandy!

Sat Feb 16, 10:21:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Anne C. said...

That's what I always do (or so they say!).

Sat Feb 16, 03:14:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Family day? Hmm. Well, I agree there should be a February holiday. Not sure about what it ought to be, though. Maybe we should just call it 'Extra Holiday Day', and shorten it to EH-day.

Sat Feb 16, 05:17:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

Hubby will be in the den, daughter will be doing her drawings on the computer, son will likely play video games or read The Cardinal of the Kremlin and I'll be surfing - no - writing. Yeah, that's it... writing.

Sat Feb 16, 06:54:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Enjoy, Mel! I'm glad Ont has finally come aboard. The kids and I skied on Thurs&Fri (Teachers Convention) so Monday may be Daddy's turn :)

Sun Feb 17, 01:47:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Jacqueline said...

Thanks, melbell.

And the warm brandy sounds like a good idea. I'll have one with Anne!

I raise my glass to spring coming REALLY soon!

Have a great weekend everyone(long or otherwise)!

Sun Feb 17, 08:00:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Anne C. said...

I think that I might need that brandy after this morning's Corrie Street omnibus. Where's baby Freddie?

Sun Feb 17, 10:07:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home