The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, January 27, 2008

I Was So Very Wrong

A while back, I posted a rather snarky post about the dearth of Alice Munro film adaptations. (The truly curious can go here.) I take it all back. Since that snarky post, the film Away From Her has been released theatrically, is now available on DVD, and Julie Christie's performance in the film has been nominated for an Oscar ™. And big hurrays for director Sarah Polley and her nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay. No, I haven't seen the film myself. I don't think I'm ready for it. (Not yet, anyway.)

Congratulations also to Canadians Ellen Page and Jason Reitman for their Juno nominations (canuckian pun fully intended). And concerning our dear, wonderful, brilliant Brampton-born Michael Cera – so he didn't get an Oscar™ nom. Pfft. Whatever. He's made Brampton cool again.

Best of luck to all our native nominees on February 24, exactly four weeks away.

Plan those Canadian Oscar™ parties now. (I'm looking at you, Ms. Munro. Warm up the hot tub.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

You say snarky, I say forward-thinking.

Sun Jan 27, 11:41:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

I'm watching the SAGs right now. They're doing pretty good without the writers. Improv rules!

Sun Jan 27, 08:31:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

I still need to see this film. And Juno. And the Old Men and Blood... I always get anxious this time of year, trying to catch up. I'm always woefully way behind!

Mon Jan 28, 01:18:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I think Munro's "The Albanian Virgin" would make a great film! It has disguises and pistols! I love that story.

Tue Jan 29, 01:01:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home