The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deadly Spoilers

by Andrew Tibbetts

I’m the fourth in line in my family for Harry Potter. So that means I have to go around with my ears plugged and my eyes blinkered for a week or two every time that British pauper tosses another edition into the wind. Last time out, I heard that Dumbledore died before I got my crack at the book- I was much pissed. Today I was getting my lunch at a Second Cup coffee shop (because I’d gotten a giftcard honorarium for giving a half-day workshop on anxiety) when I saw a young man trying to rip the hands away from the ears of a young woman and trying to yell something into her ears. She was going, ‘don’t tell me, don’t tell me’. He was going, ‘who dies is…, who dies is….’. I immediately got out of line and ran to the bookstore. I work at a university. You wouldn’t think they’d have Harry Potter at the bookstore, but they do. Tons of him. I bought one and quickly ran away from all human contact. I’m going to stay away until I’m done the book. It’s fourteen thousand pages long and weighs more than my Chevy Cavalier. I should have grabbed some snacks. I’ll see you. In awhile. Don’t wait up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just have to finish Middlemarch and then I'll be right there with you, not speaking!

Wed Jul 25, 08:04:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I'll be the last one to spoil it for you. I've never read any of the Harry Potter books, although I will admit to having seen two of the movies. They were fun. You're fun, too!

Wed Jul 25, 05:05:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

I'm twelve pages in. I can only snatch a few pages at a time because people talk to me while I'm reading. My daughter read it first and she's keeping mum. Good girl.

Wed Jul 25, 10:13:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger sass said...

i have yet to finish the 6th book. i've got 100 more pages.

i didn't know dumbledore died.

thanks. thanks for that.

Thu Jul 26, 05:25:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Sass, I hope you're kidding. If not, I'm so so sorry! Really! Same thing happened to me and yikes it ruined it. Forgive me.

Wed Aug 01, 03:48:00 pm GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Hello every body, my name is selena from south USA,and i really just want to let you all know that having a broken heart is not an easy thing, but no matter how bad your situation may be, i want to let you all know that there is a way to get your ex chasing you around again wanting to be with you, because this is exactly what i did when my boyfriend left me for someone else and i am happy today cause he is back.Udupisolueiontemple@outlook.com was were i got the chance to get my boyfriend back and i will also want you all to give it a try.anonymous

Wed Jul 31, 05:36:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home