The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Monday, July 02, 2007

Happy Federal Holiday!

By Tamara Lee

I must aplogise for being late with my post; it's been a very indulgent weekend. Out in the 'burbs with my mom because I just haven't been away from my apartment quite enough these past 2 months.

But I've managed to sort of celebrate Canada Day for the first time in years. I was in Montreal for Jean Baptiste Day last weekend, the day many quebeckers celebrate as a national holiday, while many others use it as an opportunity to drink openly in the streets. Many businesses were closed. Few places in Montreal were not filled with music or blue-and-white face-painted revellers. It was sort of like Carnivale.

Canada Day in Vancouver, however, like most events here, is rather subdued. Perhaps that's the way it is everywhere in Canada, I don't know. I think there were fireworks somewhere and I'm sure many people watched them. I did not. But I didn't need to, either. The epitome of Canada Day in Vancouver, for me, was one of the first things I noticed upon my return to the city: the annual massive flag draped over the main Canada Post building, like the posties all shouting to the city: "We are not working today or tomorrow! Deal."

But all the stores were selling their wares (and most had Canada Day sales), and the restaurants were open, patios full to the brim with people intent on soaking up as much sun as possible on this historically very wet long weekend. I barely remember such a sunny Canada Day weekend.

Me, I celebrated Canada Day by going shopping with my mom, making a brief belini-on-a-patio pitstop before going home to bar-b-que wild BC salmon accompanied by new potatoes and corn on the cob. No red-and-white face-painting; no fireworks; no drinking in the streets.

Just a pleasant meal, al fresco, on the backyard patio with the woman who gave me life.

Sweet.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Welcome back, Tamara! We enjoyed the fireworks over Victoria Harbour last night after a day of local sort-of-folk music. No rain, but wish it were warmer.

Mon Jul 02, 04:10:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Sweet! Corn on the cob -- get it while you can! Road trips -- day trips! Backyard BBQs! Moms! Al fresco nights! Happy Canada day my friends! And never no need to aplogise -- ever!

Mon Jul 02, 10:28:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

I was in Saskatoon for Canada Day, and was amazed at the turnout. I spent part of the day watching the CBC's "Seven Wonders of Canada." Man, I miss the CBC.

Mon Jul 02, 11:13:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Martin Heavisides said...

About all I did Canada Day in blustery Toronto was see Michael Moore's Sicko (and half of A Mighty Heart on the discount sneak-in plan). Wrote about Sicko on my blog. Sounds like a few of you had more venturesome days. This piece bookends nicely with Tricia's about her holiday in Banff with her grown daughter.

Tue Jul 03, 09:14:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Sounds like a lovely Canada Day! When was it? Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I couldn't tell here in Toronto. I know it happened. But it was invisible.

Tue Jul 03, 09:32:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Thanks, folks! Summer has finally hit the whole of the country, and the 'happy' is palpable :)

Wed Jul 04, 12:46:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home