The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Happy Canada Day!

by Melissa Bell

Hi Everyone! I'm up north today, so one of my fellow CWCers is posting this for me today. Here, in no particular order, are 50 things I love about our beautiful country. Have a wonderful day, everybody, and for all our Canadian pals, I hope y'all have a delightful extra day off tomorrow. Cheers!

1. Rick Mercer
2. The Trailer Park Boys
3. Corner Gas
4. Icy cold Creemore on tap
5. Canoe trips in Algonquin Park
6. Montreal bagels
7. Robert LePage
8. fine old cheddar
9. Ontario ice wine
10. Dundurn Castle
11. Niagara Falls
12. Banff, Alberta
13. Ottawa
14. poutine
15. Thanksgiving in October
16. Canada Dry ginger ale
17. Mike Holmes
18. Restaurant Makeover
19. Our colourful currency
20. Bloody Caesars
21. Vachon cakes!
22. Butter tarts
23. Nanaimo bars
24. Toronto’s skyline
25. Bernard Callebaut
26. This Hour has 22 Minutes
27. Starry nights in Saskatchewan
28. Joni Mitchell
29. Alice Munro
30. FUBAR: The Movie
31. Lawren Harris
32. Alex Colville
33. Trivial Pursuit
34. Sunday mornings with Coronation Street and a pot of tea
35. Tim Horton’s
36. Biking on Manitoulin Island
37. Sailing on Lake Ontario
38. Robertson screwdrivers
39. My cat, Elliott
40. Long weekends at the Newmans’ cottage
41. Alex Trebek
42. maple sugar candy
43. Aurora Borealis
44. Patterson Ewen
45. Swimming in Lake Huron
46. Canada’s Wonderland’s funnelcakes with strawberries
47. Lilacs
48. My father’s backyard
49. National Gallery of Canada
50. BCE Place

8 Comments:

Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Happy Canada Day Melissa and everyone at the CWC!

Sun Jul 01, 10:36:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Sandra Cormier said...

What a great list! Those are all the things I love. I'll add to the list:
Barenaked Ladies
Great Big Sea
Alex Trebeck
Kakabeca Falls
Belfountain in fall
Our pretty flag
Fiddleheads
Bob and Doug McKenzie
The Sleeping Giant

Sun Jul 01, 12:46:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I love this list! Being a Westerner, now, I feel I should add a few:

1. Victoria's inner harbour
2. BC ferries
3. The summer fireworks at Butchart Gardens
4. Banff National Park
5. Valdy
6. Beacon Hill Park
7. Tofino's ocean waves

Mon Jul 02, 01:12:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Fossils! Whales! Cherries! Peaches! Apples! Strawberries from the freezer 'cause you been strawberry picking.

Mon Jul 02, 10:31:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Glad to see Ottawa with a high spot on the list! I miss my old hometown.

Mon Jul 02, 11:14:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Great list! I'll add:
Same-sex marriage
Arcade Fire
sumac trees bright red in the fall
Guy Vanderhaeghe
Shaun Majumder
Guy Maddin
Barbara Gowdy
Sandbanks Provincial Park
How great spring feels after a long winter!

Tue Jul 03, 09:37:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

T'is a grande list, Mel. I must think more about this, but the things I love about Canada, now that I've spent more time back east and in the US, include, surprisingly, a lot of food:

*our mountains & greenery & fresh air (Okay, maybe that's just BC ;))

*'gun control'ishness

*'socialized' medicine despite its current problems (hmm... thank Micheal Moore for revising that antiquated term)

*ginger ale

*liberte french vanilla yoghurt (though you can get liberte in the states, they use US milk which isn't as good)

*fromage quebecoise!

*wild salmon

*chocolate made without high fructose

*our 'Canadian' accents (seriously; we sound pretty-like)

*excellent diversity and affordability of great restaurants

*the CWC!

Wed Jul 04, 01:04:00 am GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Hello every body, my name is selena from south USA,and i really just want to let you all know that having a broken heart is not an easy thing, but no matter how bad your situation may be, i want to let you all know that there is a way to get your ex chasing you around again wanting to be with you, because this is exactly what i did when my boyfriend left me for someone else and i am happy today cause he is back.Udupisolueiontemple@outlook.com was were i got the chance to get my boyfriend back and i will also want you all to give it a try.anonymous

Wed Jul 31, 05:48:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home