The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Happy Mirth-Day!

by Melissa Bell

Hey, it's World Laughter Day! Yep. No, I didn't know anything about it either until I checked my e-mail this morning. I was all set to do a very, very serious post here about Sleep Country Canada and their inability to understand the fact that if a box spring can go UP the stairs, it can also come DOWN the same set of stairs without me having to schedule three separate appointments to have them prove it to themselves. Honestly, people! But now that I know it's World Laughter Day, I feel obligated to spread the word via this here blog. This site can provide more information:
http://www.laughterfoundation.org/wld/2007-announce.htm

It does throw a bit of a wrench into my weekend. I was planning on sitting around feeling sorry for myself today for no particular reason, and figured a few hours of moping and griping about the unfairness of the Universe because I didn't win the 6/49 jackpot (again!) might get me through the day. But now…now that I have been made aware of World Laughter Day I better make the most of it.

Thing is there are so many things to laugh at, where the heck do I start? And I think I may have screwed things up already. Yesterday I went to my local Blockbuster and rented The Queen, Borat, and the documentary Jesus Camp. I should have saved Borat for today! Dang! The Queen and Jesus Camp don't exactly sound like proper World Laughter Day viewing at all so I'm just going to have to sit on those two films for awhile, I guess. Thank goodness Blockbuster got rid of their late fees. You'd have thought the Blockbuster guy could have told me to save Borat for today. I bet he knew it was World Laughter Day coming up and he didn't say anything so that he could go home and laugh about it. Hope you're enjoying World Laughter Day at my expense, buddy! Yeah, well you go right ahead and laugh! See if I care. We'll see who's laughing when I celebrate today in my own special way by "accidentally" returning the Jesus Camp DVD in the Borat case and switching out Borat for The Queen. Oh man, wish I could be there. Fun times are coming your way, Blockbuster pal. I'm laughing already!

Have a great WLD, everyone! Don't overdo it!

(P.S. Dear Blockbuster: I am just kidding about the mixing up of the DVDs. Please do not sue me for malice aforethought. Thank you.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Cute title, Mel. We're going to a play tonight -- a comedy, I believe -- so I'll feel like I've done the day justice. Too bad about your box spring. During one move a few years we couldn't get ours UP the stairs so Colin sawed it in half and nailed it back together once it was inside. Why Sleep Country couldn't get yours DOWN the stairs since it had obviously gotten up there is a mystery indeed.

Sun May 06, 01:20:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger MelBell said...

Enjoy the play, T. And not to worry about the box spring. All is well. What goes up, HAS to come down right? I think Sleep Country is more concerned with that which is down-filled.

My trusty hacksaw was at the ready for Visit #3, however. Third time was the charm. :-)

Sun May 06, 09:24:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

There's nothing funny about moving. I'm surprised you managed to combine carting furniture and laughing into a seemless piece. Since the stabbing on my floor- one morning I had to step around a puddle of blood in front of the elevator on my way to work- I've been considering a move. But I hate moving so much, I'm going to just put up with it. It wasn't a shooting.

Mon May 07, 08:16:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Anne C. said...

Andrew, the Russian could help you! Moving wouldn't be as difficult this time.

Mon May 07, 09:38:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Moving. Ugh. There's little that's funny about it; I'd have taken a mirth-day, too. When I was 27, I calculated that I had had 27 addresses. Since then, I think I've had about 5. Happy Mirth-day to you too Mel!

Mon May 07, 02:17:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home