The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, April 27, 2007

Some Good Kind of Crazy in This Crazy, Mixed-Up World







by Melissa Bell






Hi folks. Posting a little late today. So sorry! I’m sure you’ve been anxiously awaiting my bi-weekly musing with proverbially bated breath (which, while spelled differently, always sounds like someone’s been eating worms or something equally unpleasant [to me, anyway, because I’m weird that way]).

Speaking of odd things (and how's that for a segue?) I’ve often found it a little absurd when people blog about blogging. But I’m sort of doing that today, so I hope you’ll forgive me. I’m just very excited to have learned this week that one of my favourite bloggers in the world, Laurie Perry, aka “Crazy Aunt Purl” has a book coming out this October: Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair.

I first discovered her site last fall (and mentioned it in an earlier post), back when I rediscovered my love of knitting and all things wool-related. But her blog is more than a just a good read for the needles-and-yarn crowd. Ms. Laurie has a flair for telling a good story, no matter how mundane – whether it’s trying to find a decent cat litter for her feline brood (she owns four), or her struggles to grow okra in her backyard – she’s a lovely breath of fresh air in her own smog-filled city of Los Angeles.

If life is at all fair (and sometimes it can be), I predict “Crazy Aunt Purl” is going to be the next young Oprah. Except a lot less preachy and with a lot more cats as guests on her inevitable talk show. Yeah, that’s a crazy prediction all right, but it couldn’t happen to a nicer girl I’ve never met.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

I had a great-aunt Pearl, but maybe we all did.

Fri Apr 27, 11:57:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Great book title. Will it teach us to knit, too?

Fri Apr 27, 07:48:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home