The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, March 02, 2007

Trying to Butt Out

by Melissa Bell

Wow, a wee bit of serendipity this morning. Just took a look at Mr. Maltezos's post from yesterday (hi, Tony!) and caught his link to a story of his called "Smoke". How nicely strange.

Because, friends, yesterday I began the month of March as a non-smoker. Yes, I know I was supposed to get this all over and done with last December after the NaNo thing, but it just didn't take. If anything, I smoked twice my normal amount that month what with the parties and the cocktails and carrying on. But today? I'm already on Day Two smoke-free. And I'm feeling pretty confident I can do this.

Yesterday wasn't too bad at all for Day One. A couple of occasions, the physical craving kicked in hard and I had to steel myself to not go bum a smoke from a co-worker (gee, how classy - "bum a smoke" - good gravy!); but it quickly passed and I soon forgot about it. Imagine! And while I normally love smoking and driving (I have a nice 3-cigarette commute), the roads were so bad last night on the way home due to the weather, I didn't even think about smoking as I just concentrated on driving as safely as possible.

Speaking of driving, the "Driven to Quit" challenge has helped. I registered Wednesday. If I keep this non-smoking thing up, chances are I could win a car. Chances are I could also not win a car, but by the end of the month I'll have won something else. My freedom. And about $100 that I didn't spend on cigarettes.

So goodbye, dear Matinee Extra Mild King Size. We've had some good times, the two of us. You've been there for me through times of stress, times of some great conversations over cocktails, and we wrote some good halfway decent stuff together. But it's time to let you go. Thanks for everything. Please don't be bitter and leave me with a huge tumour on my lung already. If I'm still around when I'm eighty, I'll give you a call. We'll hook up again then. What the hell.

6 Comments:

Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

That was my brand! Congratulations on your plan for freedom - and it really is freedom. What are you going to buy with all those $100? You sound like you're in great spirits, how do you manage that?

Fri Mar 02, 09:41:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Sounds good, Melissa. I envy those people who are able to quit for six months of the year. The best of both worlds, it seems like to me. I'm with you (if I ever quit). I'm gonna find me a smoky tavern in my old age.

Fri Mar 02, 09:45:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Yay, MelBell! You can do it!

Fri Mar 02, 11:37:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Good luck, Mel. It's been 16 years for me and even if the tumour does get me, I've enjoyed the freedom from addiction (that one, at least) and smoky smells. Just take it one day at a time.

Fri Mar 02, 12:15:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

way to go!!! be strong, and tell me how you do it..xoxo

Sat Mar 03, 03:14:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Stick it out! My mom quit cold turkey a few years back.

I'm glad I never started.

Mon Mar 05, 05:49:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home