The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Novel Energy

by Patricia Parkinson

Writing comes to me in spurts. Even when I don’t think I’m writing, I still write everyday, even if it’s only twenty words or I’m editing, which I am trying desperately not to do, and you know what? It’s easier to not edit a novel as I have become so immersed in the story and what’s happening to the characters and I feel responsible for leaving them, on the brink of something, wearing bad clothes or crying or just sitting, waiting for me to write what they will do next.

I wrote more words on my novel the past two weeks than at anytime before. Roughly four thousand words! It was exhilerating! I felt the words rushing from me, spoke the dialogue aloud, played each part, every nuance and inflection of voice, of characters I am attempting to create, and tapped away at the same time and excitement overtook me and then I stopped.

I need the energy to come back to me. It will. Look out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

It's better than Hair, no?

Sat Mar 31, 02:05:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

Great news about your progress, Patricia. It is true that we live with our characters once we give them even the smallest bit of breath.

Sat Mar 31, 04:32:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

back at it. The trouble is, spring!!! I just want to be outside in my garden, I need to get out my extension cord.

Sun Apr 01, 02:08:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

Look out indeed! Good for you Patricia. Maybe you could get a dictaphone for the garden.

Sun Apr 01, 11:23:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

I love getting into characters... You should try screenwriting, it's nonstop character fun ;)

Mon Apr 02, 11:20:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home