The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, March 30, 2007

Young Reader Tasty Book Goodness As Chosen by Me Based on My Long Ago Remembrances of Tasty Books

by Melissa Bell

These are not fresh books. They are old, and a few are very hard to get your hands on. But if one of them should drop into your lap one day, enjoy!

1. The Winter of Enchantment. I keep trying to find it on eBay. It's been out of print for ages, and existing copies are rare. But this book sure does have its fans. It was magical and clever and wonderful and I hope I get to revisit it one of these days. If you should happen upon a copy of it somewhere, read it. Then let me borrow it. Please. Thanks.
2. The Dolls' House. Rumer Godden. I must have read this one about 12 times.
3. The Nickel-Plated Beauty. A family of kids must earn enough money by Christmas to buy a stove..
4. Tom's Midnight Garden. More magical stuff.
5. TV Thompson. Also magic, but more high-techy than say the clock in #4.
6. James and the Giant Peach.
7. The All-of-a Kind Family books. Jeez, these were great.
8. All the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. All of them.
9. The Secret World of Og. Thanks, Pierre Berton
10. The Nancy Drew Cookbook.
11. The Tales of the Brothers Grimm. The juicy darkness of the writing never goes away.

Have a lovely weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I was there when you got a rare 'Barbie-does-tv-news' novel in a package from ebay, I think, delivered by a gentlemanly Aaron Burch. You were so excited!

One of the great things about having two kids who are voracious readers is the thrill of passing on recommendations for books I loved when I was their age.

Now my oldest is 17 and I just pass on the books I love now. Almost anything good (that's not too romance-centred) I can pass on to him. Except "Cloud Atlas"- he won't read "Cloud Atlas". The more I beg, the less he will. He won't, won't, won't read it. Maybe I'll amass a fortune and make it a condition of inheritance.

Fri Mar 30, 09:23:00 am GMT-4  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved "James and the Giant Peach." I read it to my son when he was little.


Diane
The Maple Room

Fri Mar 30, 11:19:00 am GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Grimm, Ingalls and Sendak, yes. But I did love Dahl and CS Lewis. Until the teen angst set in early, and found Blume and Hinton. I loved Hinton so.

Mon Apr 02, 11:40:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home