The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Dreamsoaked

By Andrew (pause) Tibbetts

I’m in a very strange state these days, because I have a three hour commute in my life all of a sudden, twice a day. I’m getting up at odd times. 4am on weekdays. Sleeping in the afternoon on weekends to compensate. Yesterday, I stayed over in Toronto and had a nap in the afternoon. Of course, I was wide awake all night. I was so furious at myself. I’m a walking zombie so sleep-deprived I’m having trouble remembering words. Easy ones like ‘send’- not just hard ones like ‘prestidigitation.’ The other day I fell into the crack between thoughts while I was talking to someone. I stared into space until they coughed. It wasn’t just that I forgot what I was going to say. I forgot that I was saying. And despite all this, last night I’m staring at the ceiling at 3am.

On the plus side, this strange zombie state is very creative. I have written four stories in the last 36 hours. I cannot tell you if they are any good. Because I can’t read. I may not be uble too profred this bloggpostt, either. This morning I almost put a second set of contact lenses in. The world was that blurry.

If I didn’t have to work or interact with people or do the ordinary mundane aspects of life like pay the rent, I might experiment with this state further. My dream life may be creeping in to my waking life. That’s got to be good for one’s art! Did you hear about the research study where they kept a squadron of healthy red-blooded marines awake for three weeks straight- one made a string art sculpture of the base, another invented string theory, three of them made a radical documentary about string ties and one of them turned into Strindberg. This was in the thirties. They did eventually spontaneously combust. I should really go back to bed.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anne C. said...

Well, I can read and you can write. Rest assured.

Thu Oct 19, 02:00:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I feel for you, friend. This commuting has gone on far too long. Good to see (read) that you haven't lost your funny bone along the way.

Thu Oct 19, 03:03:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Good god, man, even your half-asleep attempts are great reads. But do take care of yourself!

Thu Oct 19, 03:08:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

I'm also doing a lot of psychotherapy today. It's weird because I'm picking up on very different things than I usually pick up on. This is interesting to me. It's like I have a seive between me and the clients and unusual things are getting through, and it makes me realize I have a different seive generally. My 'wide-awake' seive. Is 'seive' right? One of those mesh bowls with a long handle, like a holey pot?

Thu Oct 19, 03:25:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Steve Gajadhar said...

Just promise me you'll let us know if you start hallucinating. You might need to partake of one of the many sleep aids out there.

I can't wait to read those stories!

Thu Oct 19, 03:35:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

sieve

Thu Oct 19, 05:20:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger J.A. McDougall said...

strainer? colander? too big? Oh, I don't know. Thanks for letting us in on how you're doing with your new life :)

Thu Oct 19, 08:18:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Unknown said...

sieve, yes, oh Andrew, I hope this all comes a restfull conclusion soon, although, I am anxious to read your stories..xo

Sat Oct 21, 12:42:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home