The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Don't Go Near Anything Artistic!

By Andrew Tibbetts

Ordinary Canadians managed to pull themselves away from the Gala Channel on TV this past weekend to go the Art Gallery of Ontario’s grand re-opening. I was as shocked as Stephen Harper to see the line curling around the Gallery and blocks and blocks down the side street. In fact, my friend Cindy and I decided not to get in line on Sunday @11:00am when we arrived there like idiots thinking we could wander in have a peek at the pretty art thingies and be out in a couple of hours. (I’m going back when it isn’t free. Ordinary Canadians love free!)

The New York Times has a great summation of the Gehry reno. But I’ll wait to see it on “Museum Makeover” on the Gala Channel (“No, we’re not just galas any more!”) which is on after “What Not to Wear When Trying to Win a Majority Government”.

But seriously, is there a groundswell of Canadians going “that reactionary philistine doesn’t speak for me!” And if there is, will they buy books too? Can we get Harper to say “Ordinary Canadians don’t read!” And while he’s at it, could he please say, “Really hot gay guys in their 40’s won’t go out with Andrew Tibbetts!” I could use a reactive groundswell in my love life!

But enough about my love life, unless you know someone perfect for me (ping me!) It’s cool to be artsy now. So turn that cable TV off and head out into the world and see some art! Drop in and let us know what you’ve discovered…

3 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I would love to see the new AGO. We were members before we left Toronto and it felt special, so cosmopolitan of us, you know? Near the end, though, because of the renovations, there was increasingly little to see when we went. Sounds like a good excuse for another Toronto visit.

Thu Nov 20, 12:42:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Here, here! Toronto visit!

Thu Nov 20, 11:56:00 am GMT-5  
Anonymous Brandon Mclean said...

This was lovelly to read

Mon Oct 16, 11:18:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home