The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Friday, September 12, 2008

What do I know about penguins?

By Anne Chudobiak

My blogging hiatus was supposed to end last week, but instead I hopped a plane for Vancouver, home to Stanley Park, Science World and beachfront properties shaped like giant hypodermic needles (pictured above). But I like to think that this trip was in the spirit of blogging.

I got to meet up again with co-blogger Tamara Lee. We caught up over veggie Chinese on Robson. I don’t know if it was the pot stickers or the conversation, but I left with a renewed resolved to start posting again, a resolve that was bolstered when I got home to find a message from Quebec Writers’ Federation friend, Matthew Anderson, asking if he could link to our blog. “I can’t let him link to something semi-defunct,” I thought. “Surely Mathew’s spillover audience deserves more regularly updated content!”

To get my blogging bearings, I checked in with my old friend, StatCounter, a handy device which tracks visits to this site. I used to be fanatical about our stats, but this year I had entirely lost interest. I was shocked this time to see that while I was hiking up Grouse in B.C., someone in Arkansas had been searching for me, or more precisely, “anne chudobiak penguin,” a query that returns several pages of hits. Was any of them what my mystery Ozarkian was looking for? All I know is that this was enough to compel me fully back into my weird virtual world. If someone in Arkansas is looking for me, I want to know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline said...

Welcome back, Anne!

It's good to hear your blogging voice once again.

Fri Sept 12, 12:14:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Andrew Tibbetts said...

Hi Anne! Penguins rock!

Fri Sept 12, 01:40:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger TJL said...

Welcome back, Anne! It was a lovely, though much-too-brief lunch that also inspired me to do a bit more work on the freelancing side of things. (And linking to my semi-defunct freelance blog... That linking thing really does set a spark to someone's bottom, doesn't it? I am working on a new site, is my excuse for the lack of attention to that one...)

My guess about the penguins... Maybe some folks in the deep south still think we live on icefloes up here.

Fri Sept 12, 01:41:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger Tricia Dower said...

It's a mystery. Colin had a dream about penguins once, a nigthmare actually. He grabbed me around the waist and pull me in close to him, telling me not to move because we were on a ledge and the penguins were coming after us.

Welcome back, Anne! We missed you.

Fri Sept 12, 04:21:00 pm GMT-4  
Blogger ad said...

Welcome back, Anne! You were missed. xx

Wed Sept 17, 10:59:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

<< Home