The Canadian Writers' Collective

Writing, and writerly tangents

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sunday Lite

by Melissa Bell

Hi. I'm NaNo-ing. So seeing as it's Sunday and you've maybe got some guests coming over for dinner, or maybe you might just want a healthy snack for yourself to go with a DVD or a home repair project, here's a wonderful recipe for hummus which I have adapted from The New Canadian Basics Cookbook by Carol Ferguson (with Murray McMillan). I don't know who Murray McMillan is. Murray, if you're reading this, I'm sorry. I will do a google and maybe you'll be there.

I have amassed a number of lovely cookbooks over the years – most of which I just like to look through and fantasize about the recipes – but The New Canadian Basics I return to again and again and I actually try the recipes out. And this book doesn't even have any photos (aka "food pr0n") included, so you gotta know its content is solid. Trust me, please. This recipe is so much better, and way cheaper, than buying the pre-made hummus at the store.

In a food processor* combine 1 can (19 oz) drained and rinsed chickpeas, 2 cloves of garlic**, 1/2 cup tahini*** (1/4 cup if you want less fat), 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice, 1 generous teaspoon of ground cumin, a couple of shakes of hot sauce (I used Crystal [thank you, Pia Z.!] – one of the best hot sauces ever, I think, and they seem to be up and running again since Katrina – but Frank's or your fave hot sauce of the moment will do fine), 2 tablespoons olive oil, and some salt and pepper to taste. Whiz it all up in the processor with maybe a couple of tablespoons of water to get it to a spreadable consistency. And that's it!

This made me one of those medium-sized take-away containers full of the stuff. And it cost me under a buck because the No-Name chickpeas were on special for maybe sixty-seven cents a can. That leaves you tons of splurge room for some awesome organic gourmet chips for dipping. :-) Or try it as a spread on toast or sandwiches instead of butter. Loads healthier!

Have a great Sunday, friends!

*You really should use a food processor. A blender just isn't right for this recipe. It might burn out your motor. I think that might be what happened to my last one.

**Don't get too crazy with the garlic when you're using it raw like this. Two cloves are enough. I know, I know – you're thinking "But I love garlic! I must add more!" Don't. Please. Or if you do, you've been warned.

***Tahini, or sesame seed paste, can be found almost anywhere these days. But if you find yourself in a tahini-free zone, peanut butter (the peanuts-only kind) can be substituted. I've done it in the past and it works just fine. Unless you're allergic to peanuts. If you are, then wait until you can get some tahini.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tricia Dower said...

I LOVE hummus -- served some tonight, actually, mixed with avocado. Unfortunately I don't have a food processor, only a blender, but thanks for the recipe. I'll keep it in case Santa or some other generous soul breaks into my house and leaves me one.

Mon Nov 05, 02:04:00 am GMT-5  
Blogger Antonios Maltezos said...

Hummus? I thought that was the bone connected to the funny... oh, never mind. Hope the noveling is zinging along!

Tue Nov 06, 10:35:00 pm GMT-5  
Blogger TJL said...

Mmm, hummus. Alas, I have no food processor, and my blender died. I'm really not allowed to have electronic kitchen items. No toaster, either; I use the griddle on the gas stove. And my microwave is long gone. I doubt I'll ever have one of them again. But I do miss a blender, so maybe I'll get one of those this year, from an elf dressed like my Mom.

Wed Nov 07, 01:39:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home